Saturday, December 01, 2007

November knitting progress report

Ribbed Beanie (PDF)

Yarn: Malabrigo Kettle Dyed Solids (100% merino wool; worsted weight)
Color: Purple mystery
Needles: US 9 circulars
Stitches: 72

The mystery is how to get the deep purple to show up properly in a photograph. It's a much richer color than I was able to capture in the blue light outside.

Anyway, my mom's Christmas hat is finished. The move up one needle size made an appreciable difference in the tightness around the brim. (Thanks for the tip, Ruth!) I was even able to slip on the hat, so I'm confident it will fit her.

If you're getting bored of seeing similar photos of the same pattern, never fear. I've cast on for a seaman's cap to be made from Cascade Yarns Cascade 220 Tweed.

I've just realized that I have a major question about the pattern, though. I'm supposed to cast on with smaller needles to knit the cuff and then switch to larger needles. Which size am I supposed to use to obtain gauge? US 7s should make gauge. That's what I've cast on with. Should I be using 6s to start and then switch to 7s?

Ideally I'd like to knit six or seven hats this month and as well as another item or two. Insanity? We shall see.

My mom's hat was finished in time to sneak onto the November knitting scoreboard, which looks like this:

3 hats
1 scarf

Another November accomplishment was living up to the National Blog Posting Month standard of writing every day. I've been doing dailyblogging for most of the year, but it didn't mean this was trouble-free. There was the question of whether or not I'd have internet access for a couple days and a few nights where I was having trouble thinking of topics. I solicited questions and received a couple that went unanswered. I plan on getting to them. I'm due for a creative dry spell any moment.

Past progress reports: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, and October.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

Looks to me that since the bulk of the hat -- and the stockingette part -- is on the larger needles, that's the size that you should use to measure your gauge. Go down one size (.5 mm) from that to knit the brim.

That Malabrigo is luscious. I'm going to get me some. Jen's been raving about it too.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

No problem! Re gauge - what Donna said - very nice pattern you've selected too.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I love to see things knit with Malabrigo. That yarn just makes me so happy. LOL Nicely done =)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

That hat is GORGEOUS and would look fabulous with the scarf you made me last year...love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home