Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

On this day when we give thanks, I take time to consider the things I am grateful for. Significant or not, it doesn't matter.

-The standards: family, friends, good health, a job I enjoy (despite the numerous aggravations with it this past year). It's easy to take these things for granted--and easy to put them on a list such as this--but the fact that I can do so means I'm more fortunate than many.

-My new apartment. Longtime readers know how stressed out I was at my old place. Moving to a new home is one of the best things I've done all year. Having somewhere to relax can not be overvalued enough. Living in a different part of the area has also led to some exploring, which has been fun to do.

-Greenberg Turkey. Rather than mess with preparing a bird, this was on our table today. There won't be any trouble getting rid of what's left over of this terrific smoked turkey.

-$10 Huntington green seats at the Blue Jackets games. I made a minor splurge on a six game package, mainly to lock up tickets for the higher demand match-ups. My heart, though, is with these cheap seats, one of the best deals in professional sports. Sure, purchasing them may require standing in line for thirty to forty-five minutes, but these are good seats at a fraction of the cost that most are spending to get in the doors.

-The North Market. So many wonderful local food options under one roof and a great place to knit.

-Four new books by three of my favorite authors in one year. I still haven't read the new books by Douglas Coupland and Nick Hornby and two new novels by Michael Chabon, but it's nice to know what I have to look forward to when I find the time to crack those spines.

-My laptop computer and wireless internet access. It's changed how I work and write, probably for good and ill. (I have it on practically all the time when I'm home.)

-Awards season. December will be stupid busy with screenings, but the films are supposed to be better than at any other time of the year. Plus, with my love of mail, what more could I ask for than the excitement that comes from arriving home to discover packages in my mailbox and delivery notices on my door? Each day can be like Christmas with the "for your consideration" DVDs and CDs that show up.

-A good cup of coffee. I don't need it to get me revved up for the day; however, for someone like me, who has to ease into the morning, it is a small pleasure that can smooth the rough edges.

-Knitting. I've learned and gained so much more from this craft than just a skill with needles and yarn. It's helped me realize a lot about myself and build friendships I treasure. Sometimes life throws you surprises. I'm glad I caught this one.

-My readers. I write for myself, and I also write for you. Often I don't know how you got here and why you return. Is there really anything that compelling in what I scrawl every day? Regardless, it means a lot to me that my readers find some value in all of this and share in the dialogue via comments and e-mail. Thank you for taking an interest in me and inspiring and encouraging me. Happy Thanksgiving.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mark! (PS - Finally caught up...let's see how long I can stay that way lol)

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greenberg is a Tyler institution! We get a couple of these every year! Glad you had a great day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home