Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Grab bag

I didn't expect to be so tired today, but the aftereffects of traveling caught up with me at work. So, with that in mind, I present a blog entry purposefully disjointed so I don't have to think as much while writing it.

-The low temperature back in the good ol' Midwest necessitated wearing a scarf for the first time this season. I forgot how nice it is to put on something I made. I'm going to have to get to work on a scarf for myself that's a little fancier than the garter stitch pieces I knitted as a newbie, but they will do for now.

-My messenger bag is back in action. My mom sewed the ripped strap together. I'm glad to be using it again. It's much more convenient for carrying my knitting than throwing everything in a backpack.

-I went to the knit night for the first time in nearly a month. I didn't exactly feel up to going, but it's likely the last one I'll be able to attend in awhile. (Screenings or basketball stats work will probably conflict for the next three months.) I figured I could use some "forced" knitting time. If I spent those hours at home, I might have been more inclined to sleep or lay down and watch TV. The knit night was well-attended, but no one was in a chatty mood. Fine by me. I enjoyed dedicating a couple hours to knit. I have about half of my mom's hat finished now.

-Cables was one subject that came up during knit night. I was shown the general idea in how they're knitted. It doesn't seem so difficult...in theory.

-My International Scarf Exchange 5 pal has received my package. It sounds like I did well.

-When I returned home from my trip, one of the items awaiting me in my mailbox were stitch markers I won from a contest within my ISE5 group. Cool! I'll post a picture eventually.

-I'm Not There. Finally, an awards season movie to knock my socks off...and I'm far from a Dylan expert. Cate Blanchett is as great in it as you've heard. (To drop one other movie note, No Country for Old Men is pretty good too, but I think I need a second viewing to bump it up to the same level as this.)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

Cables are not difficult at all! I've been thinking about posting something on The Kinterati about them, but I already feel like I've overwhelmed a group blog. You should check out my ravelry projects. I made a bunch of cable scarves for Christmas presents (ok maybe only three or so) and they look all cool and skilled, but they were super easy! Since you are about to engage in a new scarf for yourself, I'm going to recommend Palindrome. (I made one that is bright green for my grandpa) It is just k2 P2 and every fifth row you cable (which is just moving the stitches to a cable needle k2 p2 of the regular needle and then k2 p2 the four on the cable needle) It is super simple, you'll wash away all of your cable apprehensions, and it is reversible (I've noticed that you are drawn to the reversible scarves).

Sorry, was I rambling? I am so in love with cables that I might have gotten winded from the excitement of typing that out. If that was incoherent, just let me know. I can calm down and try again. Cables FTW!

 
At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really should give cables a try, just follow the directions.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Cables, especially if you start with the Irish Hiking Scarf, are not tough. They look like you worked really hard, as Amanda said.

Welcome Home!

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I absolutely love cable work...this post makes me want to get my Irish Hiking Scarf back out and start working on it. Would love to have it done for St. Pat's this year...seems attainable in theory ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home