Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mission possible

The Great Hotel Dilemma has been satisfactorily resolved for today and tomorrow. Although my dad didn't seem to consider last night's accommodations to be lacking, my protestations coupled with my mom's must have sunk in enough for our two remaining nights in San Antonio.

I understand traveling on a budget, but the Motel 6 my dad decided to have us stay in last night was the picture of depression. The room had no artwork on the walls, clock radio, mini shampoo bottle, or guest guide. I think the Gideons may not even have left a Bible in it. My mom was concerned that there were too many paved surfaces on the property grounds for their dog to do his business. She asked my dad if he had asked the night clerk where to find some grass. I told her that there was a good likelihood she'd get a reply, just not one that answered how the question was intended.

This trip has certainly given me plenty to chew on regarding understanding why I am the way I am, but I'll save those reflections for another entry.

The top photo is of the San Antonio River Walk. I was here six years ago, and I knew this would be a good place to take them. Unfortunately it was too cold to eat outside.

Earlier today we visited two of San Antonio's missions. This is Mission Concepción. I didn't realize that the missions were intended not only for converting Native Americans to Catholicism but also for making them Spanish citizens so that they could function as colonists for the European country.


It's my understanding that the churches in these missions still hold services and function independently of the national parks where they are located.



One mission down, one more to go for the day.

At Mission San José we took the guided tour.

The biggest surprise to me was learning that much of what we were seeing had been restored through the Works Progress Administration. The churches' exteriors were decorated in colorful geometric design, an influence of the Moors on Spanish culture.

The five missions on the trail are each separated by approximately three miles. The Alamo, or Mission San Antonio, is the northernmost. I expect it will be on the itinerary for Monday.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour, and I'm glad you ended up with internet access :)

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

great pics!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Beautiful photos! I love the statue of St. Francis of Asisi.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

A nice hotel is totally worth the extra money. I venture to say that even a really nice hotel is worth the extra money. But I just spent five days in a really nice hotel I didn't have to pay for, so what do I know? Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home