Sunday, March 08, 2009

Weapon of choice

I'm working on an entry for my other blog in which I take a look at the ancestors of today's horror and slasher movies. Assuming that what I see continues to play out as it has so far, the idea is to talk about how these late 70s/early 80s movies, which were considered disreputable or objectionable then, have evolved into much crueler enterprises. (In essence, we've gone from audience identification with the victims to cheering for the killers.)

I'm seeing many of these films for the first time, so it's been quite surprising to see how quaint they look now, especially in comparison to the slaughterhouses that these films are now. But that's not really what I intend to write about here.

No, I just wanted to point out that I watched the original Halloween and discovered that Jamie Lee Curtis' goody-two-shoes character knits while babysitting on that fateful evening.

The needles come into play in a way that's of greater interest to non-knitters too, but it seemed so strange to me to see the character engaging in the craft. Her needles look more like those seen today than the ones I've spotted in two other 70s films. Good thing. Hers have more stabbing power.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Stabbing power" sounds like something they could use to market knitting needles as the latest in defense mechanisms. ;)

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Bwahahahahahahaa! Mark, you kill me! I needed a good laugh today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home