Thursday, February 26, 2009

Knotty

To break my weeks-long streak of non-knitting, I decided to pick up a ball of cotton for a dishcloth. I went to knit night for the first time in weeks with the intention of using the time to cast on for my first project in about a month.

I set up shop at our table, reached into the ball, and pulled out the end. The mess of a mass was wrapped around itself. As I worked on untangling it, I found several knots. So, for an hour and a half I sat there picking through knots. Eventually I had to cut the yarn because there was just no undoing them all.

Was it time well spent? That's debatable. I salvaged more yarn than if I'd clipped it immediately. On the other hand, the ball cost two dollars. It's not like I was going to be out much if I needed to cut and move on.

It occurs to me that how I tackled this problem is indicative of how I go about trying to solve other issues. I plug away in search of the solution, even if the effort doesn't always meet with the desired result.

In this case, all that persistence probably wasted time that could have been better used knitting.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I enjoy the victory of untangling yarn enough to make it worth the labour. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home