Monday, March 02, 2009

Adaptation

I've neither the time nor brainpower to do justice to the topic of today's post. Instead I'll point you in the proper direction and make a brief comment.

Salman Rushdie's piece on adaptations was the best thing I read all day. When I'm feeling more up to the task, I'd like to put down my own response. The article is about adapting novels into films and the difficulty therein, but Rushdie then takes it to another level and asks what is the essence of who we are individually and collectively:
"As individuals, as communities, as nations, we are the constant adapters of ourselves, and must constantly ask ourselves the question wherein does our finchness lie: what are the things we cannot ever give up unless we wish to cease to be ourselves?"
In its own way, this question is at the core of this blog. Sure, this site is about knitting, but anyone who has been reading for any length of time knows that it goes beyond that.

This blog is a writer's exercise in pseudo-anonymity and the freedom and differences that come with it versus writing done under my name. In writing each day about my thoughts, experiences, knits, etc., how am I adapting who I am, not only to readers, some who know me and some who don't, but also in my conception of self? It's interesting to think about, but I'm not up to the task this evening.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home