Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Archies: The Top 52 Things in the World (2008)

Let's start the new year with a bunch of positives. Donna began The Archies, which is a list of one's top things in the world (as opposed to favorites), and I've played along the last two years. So, I'm back for more this year.

Have I forgotten some things? Undoubtedly. This list got longer as I went along. Am I sure what the difference is between top things and favorite things? Not exactly. Should you participate too? Of course. Just make sure to let her know in the comments to her Archies '08 if you do.

Now, my Archies selections for The Top 52 Things in the World: The 2008 Edition.

1. A.M. Cinema (a nice way to spend a weekend morning and the only way I managed with all the press screenings I skipped)
2. The A.V. Club Hipster Dishrag (self-serving but I'm proud of my first design)
3. Beijing Olympics (especially that opening ceremony)
4. Benno CD towers
5. Black Box performance space (saw several very good concerts there at a reasonable price)
6. Blog 365
7. Blueberry pancakes
8. Cable cast on
9. Change we can believe in
10. Debt-free
11. Euro lap desk
12. Everlasting Bagstopper
13. Firefox
14. Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP and Fleet Foxes
15. Funny Games (the director's U.S. remake of his 1997 Austrian original is probably unnecessary, but it's more relevant in its cultural criticism now than ever)
16. Google Docs
17. Guitar Hero: World Tour (no slight intended to Rock Band; it's just that their peripherals aren't compatible with the Guitar Hero game I already had)
18. HDTV
19. Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks scarf
20. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
21. "In the New Year" - The Walkmen
22. Knit night (I'm baffled that I fit in, but I've found one where I'm comfortable)
23. Mad Men (watched the debut episode in 2007 and didn't return until recently; should have been back sooner)
24. Mar-Chele soft pretzels
25. Mario Kart Wii
26. Meijer Gold Mango Peach Salsa
27. Misti Alpaca
28. Mom's homemade peanut brittle
29. My Morning Jacket at The LC Pavilion
30. Newsradio Classic TV Club
31. NHL Winter Classic
32. The NY Times Sunday at Home Crosswords
33. Ohio IKEA
34. Pot roast sandwich and sweet potato fries at Tip Tip Kitchen & Cocktails
35. Priceless (Hors de prix) (there's always room for this kind of French cinematic trifle)
36. The Purple Rose of Cairo
37. Pushing Daisies (my added viewership this season is unfortunately too little, too late)
38. Radiohead at Blossom Music Center
39. Raising Cane's chicken fingers
40. Ravelry
41. Ravelympics
42. Roger Ebert's Journal
43. Roy Orbison - The Soul of Rock and Roll
44. The Sartorialist (I don't know much of anything about fashion and style, but this photographer's pictures from the streets make those things seem a little more accessible)
45. Scrunchable Scarf
46. Socks of my very own making
47. Tina Fey
48. "Transformer" - Marnie Stern
49. "Unknown Legend" in Rachel Getting Married
50. "Viva La Vida" - Coldplay (yeah, the band is extremely popular and totally not cool among the music snobs, but this is a perfect pop song...and the album's pretty good too)
51. WALL-E
52. The Year in Pictures (with that name, what else could it be but a photography blog)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Yay for the Archies! Thanks for playing along, and I heartily (even fervently) agree with your choices. Toppermost of the poppermost, all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home