Sunday, August 17, 2008

Podium worthy

Everlasting Bagstopper

Yarn: Lily The Original Sugar'n Cream (100% cotton; worsted weight)
Colors: Dark pine and Jute
Needles: US 5 and US 10 1/2 circulars
Stitches: 44 for base, 116 for body

Since I was too late to the Ravelympics party, I'll have to give myself a medal for making this during the Beijing Olympics. I've knit it in the spirit of the Ravelry knit-along. I started during the opening ceremony and have worked on it diligently while watching (or listening, as the case may be) the Summer Games. So cue up my anthem as I take my spot. I believe I've earned it.

The handle gave me all I could, err, handle. I'm not sure how long I worked on it last night--possibly an hour--but it took around three hours this afternoon to finish it off. I wasn't expecting that. Then there was another hour-plus to graft the handle onto the stitches on a holder and weave in the ends. I've done the Kitchener stitch before, but it's been a year. As I was almost done, I saw that I should have been pulling the yarn tighter while grafting. I tried to hide the problem and strengthen the graft when weaving in the end. I think it'll work.

The color change and a couple extra strands, the remnants of a surprise knot in the middle of the ball, gave me plenty of ends to hide. Due to the nature of the bag's body, I was a bit perplexed as to how to sew them in without them showing and keeping them there. Time will tell if they reappear.

Linen stitch made a nice, firm handle that isn't as stretchy as, say, garter stitch. It will loudly announce every mistake you make. I committed a couple but am still pretty pleased with how the handle looks. I regularly debated the final length and decided to go a couple inches longer than the approximate width of the bag, settling on eighteen inches. As I would discover, the handle is stretchier than I expected and could have been shorter, but that's just something for me to note for the next time.

I had put off going to the grocery store for a couple days because I was determined to make my next visit with this bag. I didn't need to get a lot, although I purchased more than one plastic bag would accommodate. The market bag easily held it all. Next time the orange juice will go in its own bag as I sweated carrying this all the way to the car. I had visions of the handle ripping off and the bag's sides splitting. That would not have been cool.

Overall, knitting this bag was a positive experience. I was reminded how to pick up stitches and do the Kitchener stitch. There are some less than beautiful picked up stitches on the base, but they're go virtually unseen. Plus, I know how to do it better in the future. I learned the linen stitch and sewn bind off.

OK, so all of that's basic stuff, but I think it's safe to say I'm more comfortable making incremental advances than enormous leaps in my knitting. This FO may not be worth a gold medal, but like plenty of athletes in the Olympics, I'm thrilled with a bronze. Thanks for being the teammates cheering me on, providing advice, and pushing me to do something I wasn't entirely convinced I could do.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bag looks great. :)

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

Wow! And the good news is: Ravelympics signups are opening back up. Go check the latest Daily Update in the Ravelympics 2008 group for details. You can absolutely enter this and medal! You qualify! And you deserve it.

Here's a trick I just learned this summer: Because cotton doesn't grab itself and felt itself the way wool does, you can and should knot the very end. After you've woven in all you can, separate the plies of the last bit of the tail into two groups by untwisting the yarn and pulling the plies apart. Then after tugging the area of weaving in all directions really hard to make sure there's plenty of room to stretch, slip one group of plies under the nearest stitch and tie the two groups together in a firm overhand knot. Trim off the tails.

That should make you feel better about the security of the weaving. :)

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

The Ravelympics sign-ups and cotton trick are good to know. If any of those ends reappear, now I know what to do with them. Thanks!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

It looks fabulous!!!

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/ravelympics-2008/250297/26-50#36 Yes you can still get an official medal for that cool FO.

Congratulations!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

It's wonderful! Way to go, Mark!

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the bag looks fantastic, mark - great job!! i'm sure you will get much use out of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home