Sunday, October 12, 2008

An orphan scarf

Scrunchable Scarf

Yarn: Cascade 220 (100% Peruvian Highland Wool; worsted weight)
Colorway: 9404
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 29
Size: 4.25" wide, 72" long

Sundays have become good knitting days for me. I'm getting a lot done--about a foot and a half on this scarf today, for instance--and salvaging some enjoyment from the time spent in front of the TV watching my miserable NFL team.

This scarf has been made for the Red Scarf Project, so it will be packaged and on its way before long. I participated in this charity knitting last year and encourage those so inclined to whip something up before this year's deadline arrives.

The Cascade 220 wool knitted up thick and squishy without being too heavy. The scarf has enough weight to it to give it density, yet it feels fairly light. The pattern looks sleek and, at least to my eyes, more complicated than it really is.

I slipped the first stitch with the yarn in back (if I have that term straight) and knit the last stitch of each row. It doesn't make the same edges face on each side, but I made sure to keep it consistent when I saw this was the case. It still looks good, so I don't imagine anybody is going to notice.

I prefer to make narrower scarves. Most people end up folding wide ones in half anyway. Here you see me and my grizzled jawline taking the scarf for a test drive to demonstrate this preference and reasoning.

(For inquiring minds, it's a long weekend, and I'm lazy and haven't shaved for three days. The alarming amount of premature gray showing up in my facial hair--I'm blaming it on years of acne creams--means I usually don't go unshaven for more than a day. Might as well add that to the premature hair loss too. But no, I'm not growing a beard, just looking scuzzy for the weekend.)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf looks great! I am sure it will make someone very happy. :)

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Karen said...

The scarf is beautiful, friend. It will bring someone great pleasure! Nicely done.

And the whiskers? You're allowed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home