Saturday, December 27, 2008

Stars upon stars

Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks scarf

Yarn: Misti Alpaca (100% Baby Alpaca Hand Dyed; worsted weight)
Color: EZ20
Needles: US 9s (US 11s for cast on row)
Stitches: 25
Size: 3.5" x 60"

If this scarf turns out to be my last FO of 2008--and it may well be--I'll have ended the year on a high note. This scarf looks pretty magnificent, if I do say so myself. My sister-in-law was very pleased to get it this afternoon.

Try as I might, the photos are making it appear more purple than it is. The base color is more of a deep blue. When I saw the yarn, I knew that it was the right choice for this specific project. The star stitch knit up beautifully.

It's a good thing I made this a skinny scarf--and a little skinnier than I intended. I have some yarn left over from the single skein of the soft, luscious Misti Alpaca but not a lot. I may not have had the patience for this if it were wider. The narrower size is better suited for where the recipient lives anyway.

So yes, it's worth the initial trouble of figuring out how to purl three together. The tips passed on to me were to cast on a couple needle sizes up and knit loosely. Now I've passed them on to you. (Thanks for pointers, by the way. And the recommendation to knit this scarf in the first place.) If you use the right yarn, I guarantee your result will be a stunning FO.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

It is beautiful. It looks fantastic in that yarn.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Karen said...

It's beautiful! And Misti Alpaca is so yummy to knit with.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The little bits of yellow -- creating scattered yellow stars -- really provide the finishing touch. Hooray for this pattern and for this yarn (which I now covet enormously)!

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad your sister in law likes it. :) It looks really cool in that yarn.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Doniamarie said...

Love the scarf!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

gorgeous fo, mark!! i'm 76 posts behind in reading ur blog but wanted to stop by to report that ashlyn's hat from u is perfect and she wears it a ton!! thx so much and hopefully i can get a pic posted soon for u so u can see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home