Friday, December 26, 2008

Lessons from a seemingly simple scarf

With some perseverance and focused knitting, I finished the Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks scarf today. I finally fixed the problem from the mistake I made two weeks ago. Repairing a dropped stitch wasn't that big of a deal after all.

Although the only thing I was supposed to be learning on this scarf was how to purl three together, it turned out to be a good educational experience for me in multiple ways. I learned to knit more loosely, which absolutely must be done if you're to have a prayer of sliding the needle into three stitches at a time.

I learned that undoing three stitches purled together isn't as bad as it might seem, although it certainly helps to have variegated yarn that sort of does the heavy lifting for you in helping determine what's what. I also discovered that I am substantially better at undoing knitting than I was a year ago at this time. I made enough goofs on this where I had to tink a few (or more) rows. In the end such situations were not worthy of panicking.

What else? Even if a pattern is four rows and the odd ones are knit, keep track of the blasted rows with a counter or suffer the consequences. Losing track of which row I was on happened far too many times to mention, even after I employed the counter. It doesn't do any good to have one out if you don't change the number after each row.

I'll have more pictures and the details on the scarf tomorrow. I finished it after the sun went down, so I'd like to have the showcase photos with some nice natural light.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Can't wait to see the outdoor photos. It looks absolutely delectable!

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! It's done! :) All good lessons to learn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home