Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Slip or slide

We received a nice freezing rain here today. It wasn't anything major, just enough to be potentially hazardous. I had a ticket for the hockey game tonight, so I ventured downtown despite feeling less than thrilled about going. (The way the team played, they must have felt the same. Bums.)

The streets and sidewalks were a little icy before the game. While it didn't appear that much precipitation had fallen during the contest, afterward it was slick like fury and daunting to walk on, especially if you happened to be donning cross trainers with most of the traction worn off. That would be me.

I made it through a couple patches, the kind where you keep sliding after you've taken a step and have stopped moving your feet. Then I faced a decline in the path. Sometimes you have to know when to give in. Rather than take a spill (and possibly tumble into the road and in front of traffic), I sat down, slid down the pavement, and suffered no worse than a wet backside. I was doomed to go splat otherwise, so the trade-off wasn't so bad.

I know that rain, which will become freezing rain and snow as I go west, is forecast for my trip tomorrow. Safe traveling to you if you'll also be on the road.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you did not fall. Talked with my sister this morning, who works downtown. She said downtown was AWFUL last night.

Take Care!

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love that you slid down the path. That takes gumption. :D Our driveway was really slick as well, so we ended up buying some salt to keep on hand for such occasions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home