Monday, December 29, 2008

Stocking stuffers

My maternal grandmother made the stocking at the top of this entry. She made one for each member of our family, and they are hung at my parents' home every Christmastime. She died around twenty-five years ago, so this is always a nice reminder of her during the holidays.

The stockings were crocheted...at least I believe so. I don't think she was a knitter, and I faintly remember looking at the stockings more closely once I sort of knew what was what when it comes to stitches.

I wish I'd been able to share my knitting with both of my grandmothers--the other quilted and sewed--but it's nice to know that I am carrying on some kind of handcrafted tradition. I taught my mom to knit last Christmas. She made her first scarf and hasn't done anything since.

Speaking of mothers, mine is bombarding my inbox with photos taken during the holidays. As I write, I have seventeen e-mails with attached photos taken in the past few days. Many of these e-mails contain multiple photos. I am being a bad son and not looking at them because it's unwieldy to access pictures in this way.

I don't think she'd try using Flickr or something else hosted online even if I could explain privacy controls and such to her. Is there a better way for her to share these photos without sending so many e-mails? Should I just continue to keep quiet about it even though it annoys me?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Grandma Stockings.

How about Picassa? It's free and you have it already if you use a gmail account. I hear you on the picture emails, just not user friendly when there are a ton of pictures.

Good luck with the picture thing.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Google photos/picasa...it's a great way to share!

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't used Picassa so I can't comment. I know before I had signed up for Flickr I was using Snapfish because that's how my friend was updating us on her life in Seattle. It's easy to use and everything is private. All you have to do is email someone the link to the album and they can peruse at will and send items off to Target (I think) to have them printed. :)

Your Grandma's stockings are lovely. I have two handmade stockings. One is crocheted made by my mother and the other one was cross stitched by my uncle while he was on tour doing a play. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home