Sunday, July 08, 2007

Instructions may vary

It is a good thing that I'm being overly cautious with how I'm knitting my Knit Picks Essential Tweed sock. I expected that the instructions would be similar to my Dark Horse-Fantasy sock, but it deviates enough from the Knitty pattern that it threw me.

My confusion over right side/wrong side seems to be a thing of the past. My increasing comfort with reading the knitting and the patterns makes me think that I might be able to tackle something more complicated soon, but I better not get ahead of myself.

The pattern I'm using from Sensational Knitted Socks calls for doing the heel flap differently. Not substantially so but enough that it took me awhile to figure it out. I almost chose to improvise and go with how the other sock took care of the flap, but I'm glad I didn't do that. I would have either had a mess on my hands or needed to do some serious recalculation for every step the rest of the way.

I wish this pattern were written more specifically--tell me how many stitches to knit rather than telling me to knit within one stitch of the gap in the heel turn--but I suppose I'm just going to have to become more adept at following the directions.

Since I wanted to make sure I'm doing everything properly, I read ahead and was puzzled by the instructions to divide the stitches evenly over four needles. Consider this a lesson learned. A search for the book turned up the corrections page. I still assume that any confusion means there's something I'm not getting, so it's nice to know that I wasn't wrong this time.

I'm enjoying sock knitting, but I'm getting a serious itch to finish a project. This sock may take me the rest of the week, and then there's another one to go. I demand satisfaction!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Hey, thanks for the corrections link -- I just bought Sensational Knitted Socks from KnitPicks (did you see their 40% off book sale?) and I'll make sure to check that page early and often.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Yeah, I got the Knit Picks e-mail. (The catalog still apparently hasn't made it to my new address, though.) There's one book I'm definitely interested in, but it looks like the shipping might put it over what it would cost with Amazon Prime.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Patience, young grasshopper. (Hehehe I've always wanted to say that to someone!)

By the way, it's always good to read the pattern all the way thru before starting.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

glove slap, i don't take crap

hahahaha - thanks for sharing the simpsons clip...cracked me up!!!!

glove slap baby ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home