Monday, July 02, 2007

Extra extra

This is the second take for today's entry. Based on Donna's comment about aesthetics, I started writing about that issue, but I bailed on it when I saw that I might be up all night trying to say what I wanted. I'll save it for when I'm stuck or maybe spring a dual entry day on you. Who knows?

My sock knitting has hit a snag. I don't know how, but the lovely brown sock ended up with an extra stitch on the needle at the end of the round. It would have been the last thing I knitted at the coffee shop, so perhaps the yarn was accidentally wrapped around when I stuffed the project in the bag. Since I encountered this after already working 87 stitches in pattern, I purled the last two together, knitted three more rounds, and hoped that would take care of things.

No.

It looks like there's a dropped stitch in that spot. (I also might have dropped a stitch on needle 2, although I think I caught it in time.) This seemed like a good stopping point last night. I haven't been able to work on it today. Considering the hour, it doesn't look like I will. So, if you're going to warn me off doing something I will regret, now is your chance.

My instinct is to pick up the stitch, and have one extra on the end again. I'm working in a k2, p2 pattern. Before I k2, p1, p2tog to fix the problem that wasn't fixed. Now I'm thinking I should k2, p2tog, p1. Does that make sense? Will it make any difference?

The pattern looks fine, as far as I can tell. I really don't want to unknit hundreds of stitches. I won't have to, will I?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger miss ewe said...

It's just knitting... as long as there is not a dropped stitch threatening to run away with your whole sock leg, just do an appropriate decrease somewhere. Unless you can figure out what happened.

When "cornering" on dpns, occasionally people pick up an extra wrap, usually because your working yarn doesn't make it onto the correct side of the needle to start knitting on the next one. If you have one of those, just drop it off the end and it will kind of work itself in without too much fuss or disturbance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home