Friday, July 06, 2007

I knit, therefore I write

This article about knitting and blogging could be filed under Tell Me Something I Don't Know, but I suppose that's true for any niche activities that get covered in mainstream media. I had to laugh at this line: "There are teenagers, stay at home mums, older women and even men are getting involved." (I added the bold text for emphasis.) Stop the presses!

I'm making my way through Stitch 'n Bitch and was very surprised to see this statement on page 116: "Today there are well over a hundred knitting Weblogs, and more are created every day--just type 'knit blog' into any Internet search engine to find the current batch." No, it wasn't the use of "Weblogs" or the capitalization for it or internet that jumped out at me; it was the idea that there are "well over a hundred" knitting blogs. The book was first printed in September 2003, a lifetime ago in technology terms. Needless to say, there are a few more knitting blogs out there now.

I started my film blog in December 2003 and have been writing online since June 2000, but it sounds like knit blogs didn't take off until after that. You know that I began mine because I was being all quiet and coy about my knitting in the offline world and needed a place to share. I assume that the majority of you reading also have your own sites. Why did you decide to blog, whether about knitting or something else? How long have you been doing it? What makes you continue to write?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Well, the truth is that I was reading knit blogs waaay before I decided to start my own and one day, I wanted to leave a comment on one and blogger made me sign up to do so. I thought "what the heck? why not try to keep my own for a while and see how I do?". So there you go. And now I keep it up because I've made so many online knit blog friends and I like to connect w/ them and give back for all of the wonderful reading they (you included) provide. Plus, I like to show off my handiwork, it provides a great way for me to document my knitting and other life events, and just gives me a good place to get things off my chest sometimes.

 
At 4:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I moved to South Africa I was really bored and really lonely and in desperate need of a free knitting pattern since all of my stuff was on a ship in transit. So searched for free knitting patterns and came across Emily's blog at Yarn Miracle. She was making these insanely long socks for her sister and I kept coming back to see how they were going.

I then found other knitting blogs and got hooked. I lurked for 6 months, but knew that I wanted to get involved in what was obviously a community, so as soon as I bought a digital camera I was off.

What keeps me writing. I love talking about myself lol. Seriously it's great to have other people who 'get it' when you show off your work, it's nice to get feed back and help with knitting (and in my case quilting) questions. Plus there is a real sense of community.

Living so far from home, my blogging buddies have become my friends and (tragic as it is) most of my social interactions take place on line. I'm constantly amazed by the generousity of the blogging community - you can see my latest post as an example of this.

Plus I also see it as an educational tool (always the teacher...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home