Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sock one

One sock down, one to go. I'll spare the material details until the other is done since technically I don't have an FO until I have a pair. What good is one?

First things first, the problems... There isn't necessarily a hole at one side of the ankle, but it probably could have been knitted more tightly at that spot. It's probably less noticeable when worn on my left foot. That nitpick aside--and the fact that I'm debating if the variegation makes the sock kind of ugly--I'm very pleased with my work on it.

I'm surprised at the shortness of the leg, not because it is too short but because laid flat it appears like it should be longer.



The foot length seems to be right. Regular use will determine if the cuff should be tighter. I think it will be OK, but I expected a slightly snugger fit. I like the feel of the sock. I used one of my favorite yarns for scarves: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy.

It's half nylon/half acrylic and, more importantly, machine washable. That's something I'm going to have to keep an eye on when purchasing sock yarn. Having to hand wash socks is more trouble than this knitter is going to want to deal with. The only thing in the pattern that has thrown me is the "block lightly" instruction. Why would I want to do that?

As I mentioned before, the necessity of knitting another one takes some of the fun out of making socks. Maybe I'm less thrilled about it because I was sort of bored knitting the foot. Regardless, I'll get to work making the companion sock this week. Guess I didn't need to buy two skeins of this yarn, though.

I cast on again for the sock with my Knit Picks yarn tonight. I didn't like how a couple of the stitches looked from yesterday's attempt, so I ripped everything out and started over. I've become faster at doing the long tail cast on, so that isn't too bad. Unfortunately I was using the long tail to knit, so I had to frog it all again. I don't think I'm going to work on it the rest of the evening. I've gone nearly a week without knitting the reversible shamrock dishcloth, so that ought to be a good thing for me to return too while I take a break from socks.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

I like it! I don't know if this is going to make you feel better about the variegation or not, but the stripes remind me a bit of zebras and I like them. I still haven't made it to the LYS while the are open, so I haven't started mine yet. I've been knitting my first scarf instead.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Karen said...

The sock looks terrific, Mark! Great work! When looking for sock yarn, you want superwash wool. That way, the socks can be tossed into the washer, and they won't felt. I would avoid the dryer. Just so you know? I don't block my socks, either. I do have sock blockers, but I use them to take photos of my socks. :-)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Sock! Sock! Now I want to go home and knit one too!

Your sock is excellent. Welcome to the dark side ;)

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Ahhhh ... that sock is awesome. And the variegation is the beautiful detail -- not obtrusive, but quietly confident -- that says "handknit." I absolutely love it. And I grow more impressed with you day by day.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow, Mark - the sock really looks fabulous!! I love the variegation...really, LOVE IT!!

(I'm obviously behind in my blog reading, so please excuse the lateness of this and my next couple of posts.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home