Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Careful

I shall be a master of unknitting whether I desire the title or not.

I tried picking up a stitch where a hole exists in the sock, but that wasn't working. For one thing, there wasn't a stitch to pick up. Time to bite the bullet and undo the four rounds I've knit (and probably one more) after I tried my other method for fixing the problem.

The best explanation for what happened was what miss ewe called "cornering" in her comment to yesterday's post. It looked weird when I dealt with it initially, not quite like a real stitch yet more integrated into the WIP than yarn just wrapped around the needle.

For this kind of intense work I knew I'd have more concentration if I weren't at home, so I purchased a cool cup of caffeine at the coffee shop and got to it. In the early days I had trouble seeing where I needed to put the needle to undo the stitches. The idea of undoing purled stitches presented another set of potential pitfalls. I've got it now, something that was in evidence as I slowly made my way through two rounds. And I do mean slowly. In the blink of an eye it was time for me to get home to liveblog ON THE LOT for my other site.

I still have a couple hundred stitches to unknit. There's the rest of the evening. Guess who has literal knowledge of what "a stitch in time saves nine" means. I've learned (again) that it's best to solve the problem at the source rather than think you can pull a fast one on the knitting. I've lost every time I've tried to do so. If I'd unknit one round, that probably would have taken care of it, but nooooo, I had to take what appeared to be a quick fix.

Note to self: if it's wrong, stop or go backward. Whatever you do, don't knit more.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Bummer about the unknitting, but definitely better to fix it now and have to frog the whole thing later on, or end up w/ something that you can only see as a big mistake. Hope you are back on track soon. Happy 4th, too : )

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Bummer! But 4 rows is not nearly as awful as a whole sock. Oh, wait, you still have that to do, don't you? ;-)

Look at it this way. It builds character.

I'm not helping, am I? LOL

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the unknitting. If it's any consolation I knit the neck shaping of a sweater 3 times on Monday night before putting it away because I was too tired. It happens to us all. To paraphrase the Yarn Harlot, unknitting can be good because it means more knitting, and I like knitting, right?

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Character, schmaracter. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home