Saturday, July 07, 2007

Eight random things

There's nothing remarkable about things on the knitting front. I'm ready to start the heel flap, but that's what qualifies as news. So, in lieu of knitting content, I turn to the good old standby: the meme. I wasn't tagged but given a token to redeem if in need of an entry. With no further ado, in a meme suspiciously similar to seven random things, here are eight random things about me.

1. I have no idea what my blood type is.

2. My birthday falls on a holiday but not every year.

3. One year I told my mom I wanted a chocolate sheep cake for my birthday. I meant a sheet cake. (Keep in mind that I was a kid.) I'll lay blame on family members who don't clearly enunciate but whatever. My family still has a laugh about it. I don't think it's so funny.

4. Although it was against my reserved nature, my senior year in high school I had roles in two student written one act plays. I'm not sure what this says, but in both I received a beatdown of some kind. In one I was on the receiving end of an accidental wallop upside the head with a baseball bat. We used a wiffle ball bat with a pseudo wood grain, so it looked like the real thing. There were audible gasps from the audience when my co-star hit me. The other play was about Lt. William Calley's trial for the My Lai massacre. Really. (Music fans, take note. It was called The Big Parade after the 10,000 Maniacs song.) I played dual roles as the presiding judge and a soldier in a flashback scene. In the flashback another soldier, played by a classmate trained in martial arts, throws me to the ground.

5. I've never had contact lenses because I dislike the notion of putting things in my eyes. On the few occasions I've needed to use eye drops, it was a bit of a challenge.

6. I can't really pinpoint the reason why, but I like airports. It's not as though I've spent a lot of time in them, although in high school I would go with some friends to the Dayton International Airport for fun. (Honestly, I have no idea why we did this. With the way things are today, it would no longer be possible to wander around the terminals without a ticket.) Perhaps this affection for airports influenced my positive reviews of The Terminal and Unaccompanied Minors. I would still make a case for both without this predilection but...

7. I have broken one bone. I fractured my left fibula at the ankle trying to stretch a single into a double in a church softball game. I slid too late and *crack* caught it underneath me while jamming it into the base. To make it worse, I was out. I wasn't sure I had broken it, but I knew I couldn't continue playing. I sat on the bench for the rest of the game and had to have someone drive me home because my car had a manual transmission. (There's no depressing the clutch when your left ankle is busted.)

8. I bought my first two cars for $600 each. I had a 1982 Datsun 200SX for four years and was sad to have to get rid of it. (Long story short: I broke down on the interstate. While waiting for the tow truck to arrive, someone in a passing car threw a beer bottle and shattered the rear hatchback window. That alone would have cost more to replace than the car was worth.) I'm no gearhead, but I loved that car. Next was a Toyota Corolla, which I had for a year and a half but never bonded with on the same level.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

#4 -- shades of Max Fischer!

This is the best list of random things ever.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks. I thought this would be quick and easy, but it takes a lot of thinking to come up with items that might be fun and interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home