Thursday, June 28, 2007

Desert island yarn

There's nothing but static between my ears tonight, so desperate times call for dipping into the solicited questions. Karen queried:

"If you were stranded on a desert island and could only take one kind of yarn, what yarn would that be? Why?"

I know that favorite yarn is a popular topic among knitters. Truthfully, I don't think I have enough experience to give a worthwhile answer. (It would be like asking me my favorite movie of the year in February. Sample size just wouldn't be big enough.)

I've predominantly used the kind of yarn that you can get pretty much everywhere, so I don't know that I have a very interesting answer in that regard.

But now that I consider the question as worded, it doesn't require a particular brand or even something that would be a favorite. (Yes, I know I'm overthinking this.) Looking at it from a practical perspective, I'd have to say a wool yarn in worsted weight.

Worsted weight would be versatile for a variety of uses while I was stuck on an island. The only reason I specify wool is because I recently learned from Stitch 'n Bitch that the fiber keeps one cool when the weather is hot and warm when it is cold (assuming the temperature dropped at night). That may seem like common knowledge, but I'd always associated wool with cold weather. Apparently it absorbs water very well too. That would be good if I'm surrounded by it. And I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally ruining it by washing it in a machine because none would be around.

I suppose I ought to make a lazy attempt at giving a specific answer as to a favorite. Knit Picks Panache, which I used to make a scarf, was really lovely stuff to work with. I've gone back to Dark Horse Yarns time and again for several different projects.

There you have it.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Karen said...

A good wool. I'll take that.

Honestly? I don't think I can even answer my own question right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home