Friday, June 29, 2007

OK, computer!

After hemming and hawing about purchasing a notebook computer, I took the plunge today. I've been wanting to get one for awhile. The time and price were right. I paid attention to the advice of others and deliberated until I felt like I had the proper plan of attack.

I decided to hold off on getting additional memory. Despite warnings of Vista being a memory hog, what can it hurt to use the machine and see how it operates before swapping out both sticks? And Donna's mention of her own memory installation experiences gives me some confidence that I can manage it without causing irreparable damage. (There is a basis for my hesitancy, though. I had a computer one of my brothers had put together. I attempted to add another stick but put it in backward. It was instantly fried, although the computer still functioned.)

The wireless router was installed without too much difficulty. I had to get one of my brothers to talk me through the process over the phone as I have two routers in my set-up. (The other one is for Vonage.) And just like that I can access the internet anywhere in my apartment!

I didn't intend to get a printer, but it was just $11 more. I already had a printer, but I haven't been able to get it to print properly in spite of following every protocol the manufacturer recommends. A commenter to a Salon.com tech article suggested that, when taking into account the exorbitant price of ink, it is cheaper to buy a new printer than getting replacement cartridges. It's hyperbole...kind of. I just got this printer for less than half of one ink cartridge for my old printer, so in this case that was true. For that matter, the ink that came with this printer probably costs more than the hardware.

This is the first laptop computer I've owned since the Bondwell B200 I bought prior to entering college. It was so much more convenient to have a computer of my own than to hope for access on one of the two(!) in the dorm. Ah, the luxury of using DOS, WordStar, and a Star NX-1001 dot matrix printer.

Needless to say, my new notebook can do a bit more.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Yay on your new notebook computer!

Now, tell me you really don't still have that old 1980's thing taking up space in your apartment! Let it go, Mark.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Drool on that old laptop. That is a bee-yootiful machine. If only I had all the wonderful computers I've owned over the years in a museu. Hmm ... that gives me an idea for a blog post. Thanks!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

The Bondwell machine is from the 90s, believe it or not. And yes, I have it in storage in the apartment.

The keys make quite a pronounced clicking sound when typing on it. Monochromatic screen, a carrying handle that folds out from it...what more could one want? I'm glad someone appreciates it. :)

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I have a Royal typewriter from 1922 with beveled glass panes in the sides, but it still works. And the hardware/software won't ever be defunct, because there isn't any... It is beautiful.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Karen said...

http://www.typewritermuseum.org/collection/index.php3?machine=royal10&cat=kf

Had to leave you a link!

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

*Makes snarky comment about the ancient computer*

There were too many running through my head, haha! Anyway, I'm glad your computer purchase went well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home