Friday, January 02, 2009

2008 knitting year in review

2008 was my second full year as a knitter. When I made them, I wasn't sure if my resolutions were ambitious or not. Even on this side of things I can't say whether I set the bar too low or not. I'm pretty pleased with the specific goals that I can check off as accomplished, but the total seems thin.

Accomplished

-Finish a pair of socks.


Not only did I finish a pair I started in the summer of 2007, I knit another.

-Design something.

Done and sort of done.

-Blog every day.

You bet I did.

Partial credit

-Learn how to do cables.

I began a cabled dishcloth, but I never did finish it. I think I remember what to do, but I'd hardly call that learning. At the very least I should complete my practice cabled project.

-Learn how to read charts.

I don't know the how to read the symbols, but I picked up a little about reading rows when I was designing a project.

-Figure out color work.

I briefly experimented with double knitting and intarsia when trying to design the Reds logo into a dishcloth, but what little of it that made sense to me is long gone now.

-Take better care of myself.

Regaining some weight certainly is a strike against this one, and I've definitely burned the candle at both ends at various times in the past year. On the other hand, I think I did reclaim some time for myself that I needed. The balance is not in my favor, but a couple positive marks earn me partial credit.

Didn't even attempt

-Finish the knitting needle covers.

Curse you crochet edging and back stitching. Still catching some zzz's on my Ravelry project page.

-Knit a sweater.

Not even considered. I can use wanting to lose weight as an excuse--and it's a good one--but yeah, the idea of knitting a sweater kind of terrifies me.

As for the FO count, this year is not nearly as impressive in quantity as the previous year. Assuming there isn't anything I'm forgetting or haven't entered into Ravelry, the 2008 tally is 27 finished objects. The breakdown looks like this:

Baby hats: 2
Coffee cup cozies: 3
Design experiments: 2
Dishcloths: 6
Hand towels: 2
Hats: 3
Market bags: 2
Scarves: 5
Socks (pairs): 2

As for UFOs, let's carry over six:

Blanket: 1
Dishcloths: 2
Knitting needle covers: 2
Socks: 1

Only the blanket and a cabled dishcloth are new to the year-end UFO pile. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Tomorrow I'll post my knitting resolutions for this year. Did you meet the knitting goals you set last year? What do you want to do this year? What should I resolve to do?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

yay for ashlyn's adorable hat making the list!

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not finish my knitting goals for last year as I didn't finish my Master's project. I did however do things that weren't on my list. :)

At some point this year I need to learn how to crochet again. As for you, I think you should either do fair isle or some larger fitted garment. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home