Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 knitting resolutions

Happy 2008!

It seems appropriate that the first order of business on this blog for the new year is to set some goals. There aren't as many as my 2007 resolutions, but the bar has been set much higher, if you ask me.

-Learn how to do cables.

I hear they're not as complicated as they look, but I'm not buying it.

-Finish a pair of socks.

I'm halfway there, so this should be doable. Then again, I've been halfway there for half a year.

-Finish the knitting needle covers.

I feel terrible that these aren't done. Sooner rather than later, hopefully.

-Learn how to read charts.

You know those graphs with all the symbols in them? I don't have a clue how to interpret them.

-Design something.

What specifically? No idea. Maybe a scarf for starters.

-Figure out color work.

I looked in a book to see how intarsia is done. It made my brain explode.

-Knit a sweater.

With enough kicking and screaming, I think I can accomplish the other, more difficult resolutions. This one I'm not so sure about. It has to fit and look respectable enough to be worn in public. (At least sock mistakes can be hidden as long as they aren't visible between the shoe and pant leg.) And there's seaming. *shudder*

-Blog every day.

I almost did this last year. What's another seven days of writing? As added incentive, I signed up for the Blog 365.

-Take better care of myself.

After all, nobody else is going to do it. I carry this over from last year because it's something that bears remembering.

Too ambitious? Not ambitious enough? Time will tell. I'm surprised how much I learned and knitted last year. What's not on here that I should have as a goal? What are your knitting goals for a new year?

3 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cables are easy and just think of a sweater a little pieces of knitting. If you need help with the intarsia let me know. I avoided it for years myself but it was simpler than I thought.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Charles said...

Hey~~~

I hope your having a great time on your NEW YEARS day!
Hope eveythings goes will and big luck wish your best~~

Also visit my blog...I made a post about preview of new knitting book 2008!

love,
Charles

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Ruby said...

If you're worried about seams for your sweater, you could always knit a seamless sweater in the round. I'm planning on making Elizabeth Zimmermann's Seamless Yoke Sweater for my first sweater. I figured that not having to worry about seams would help me get over my reluctance to knit sweaters.

I haven't worked out my goals for the year yet, but knitting my first sweater, learning fair isle knitting and knitting socks are definitely on the list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home