Monday, July 14, 2008

Cable installation

A common thread through much of my knitting education is that something seems difficult or impossible and turns out to be not as hard as I expected. Cables were definitely imposing. Putting such embellishments on projects was for other knitters, not me. I can't do that. They look so complicated...but apparently they're not.

Oh, I'm having some trouble knitting off the cable needle, especially when it's held to the back of the work, but the fact that I've been able to do it at all is a victory. This is one of those techniques that I figured would be beyond anything I'm capable of doing (like, say, knitting a garment that fits or seaming something without looking like I was extremely intoxicated).

Finding a good spot for the cable needle so it isn't in the way can be a challenge, but if that's the worst I have to put up with, I think I can manage. I picked an easy dishcloth pattern, conveniently named "easy cabled dishcloth", and should have an FO in no time. It's going to be smallish, but the point in knitting this was to practice cables, not making something. (That's just a benefit on the side.)

Now for the questions... How can I make it easier to knit stitches on the cable needle? I have a very small, tight space in which to do this, particularly when the stitches are in back. I'm guessing that it shouldn't be this tough. Any recommendations for how to keep the cable needle out of the way?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Wow -- they're perfect! So beautiful *sniff*.

Maybe others have a good technique for keeping that dang needle out of the way. Me, by the second cable round on my cable-virgin Fetchings, I was teaching myself to cable without a needle. Couldn't stand the thing. :)

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

I second just getting rid of the needle. It seems vital, but really it is just in the way. Don't be intimidated by going cableneedleless. The sooner you do it the sooner your liberation begins.

ps. I still haven't peeked

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Hrm...I still use the needle. I find it awkward to NOT use one. But that's probably just me, the girl who loves dpns. ;) The cables are really lovely--good work on taking the plunge!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hooray! I use a cable needle... just haven't gotten used to doing without... I just am used to having it there for those 3 or 4 stitches.

Yours look great, Mark!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home