Saturday, September 13, 2008

The return of the sock

Almost fifteen months have passed since I finished my first sock. Today I started knitting the second again. Why now? I don't know. I just had the itch to do it.

It's been over a year since I've engaged in sock knitting of any kind. A different, too large sock killed my desire to keep knitting hosiery--I still haven't ripped out that sucker--but as I worked on this second sock, I decided that the long break was worthwhile.

When I started my sock knitting I did not have a lot of experience knitting in the round. I was often confused by the right side/wrong side thing. After making all those hats last winter, I have a better grasp on what I'm doing in the round. I also have a clearer understanding of how to read the knitting. I should be improved at picking up stitches after needing to use the technique with the market bags. While I need to look it up again, I should do ssk correctly now.

So, sock knitting should be a more pleasant experience this time around. I'm excited to do it and think I'm figuring out how to fix some of the problems I'm running into. I have ladders in the cuff, but I think I've tightened the yarn sufficiently that those will go away in the leg. I'm not sold on the variegated yarn that I'm using, but I have positive feelings about this project after the extended layoff. It doesn't hurt to feel like I know what I'm doing.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Sock? did somebody say sock? :-)

Keep me posted!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home