Friday, August 17, 2007

Hmm

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place.

The good news is that you see a finished sock. The bad news is that it is too big. It barely stays up, and it's wider than it should be. It's probably also longer than it should be. Losing my place during decreasing will do that.

There's also this scar-like phenomenon in the middle of the foot, although it's not anything that will ever be seen since it is on the bottom. I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure that this mistake was caused by doing ssk the wrong way. I wasn't actually slipping them off, just knitting into the back of the stitches. Donna got me straightened out on this, so ssk shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Do I decide that this is merely a practice sock and knit two more, the thought of which exhausts me at the moment? Do I knit a companion for it so I might be able to consider the pair completed but end up with only one wearable sock? Might I be able to get it to shrink after a trip through the washer and dryer? (Note to self: check to see if it is permitted to go in the dryer.)

Knowing how long this first one took me to knit, I'm wary of starting another with the expectation that I probably have to make two more. (That choice also means ordering more yarn.) Yes, it's a learning experience, but that's a lot of invested time for one lesson.

And then there's this dilemma... (Sorry for the unfocused photo. This is what I got with an unsteady hand and not enough light.) I've found an explanation of blanket stitch that makes sense to me, but understanding how to do it and putting it to practice are not the same. I think I could sew the messenger bag strap if I had two smooth pieces, but these folded over pieces are another matter entirely.

My primary concern is that I won't do a good enough job and it will rip again. (The first time was my fault for carrying too much in the bag.) To be perfectly honest, I feel certain this will happen. There will be a bulge where it's sewn together, which bothers me but not enough that I can't get over it. On top of that, I haven't been able to carry my messenger bag all week. I've come to rely on it, so not having it at my disposal is an additional frustration.

So here I am with a knitting-free week and a bag that is useless until it is repaired. I just want to knit something simple and fun, yet here I am in limbo. Whatever shall I do?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Karen said...

For once, I don't know what to tell you, Mark! I don't know what yarn you used for your sock... knit the second one to match and shrink them at the same time is my best suggestion. My fingers are numb and I can barely knit, so I'm envious of anyone who can right now.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

I used Knit Picks Essential Tweed, which is machine washable. It's supposed to be tumble dried on low.

I'm hesitant to knit another one the same size and then seeing if I can shrink it, thus my problem.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

i would whip out some quick dishrags to get you back in the swing. that's about all i've worked on since i moved in and am perfectly happy w/ their instant gratification-ness ;)

good luck w/ the sock and bag dilemma...sorry for the lack of advice on either subject.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Karen said...

OK, so it's superwash and won't shrink, or not much. They won't felt. That leaves sock one as your test sock, Pal.

If you want to be the person to wear them, and wear them other than just around the house, you're going to have to frog and re-knit sock one smaller or start fresh. Sorry.

Do you have a brother with bigger feet?

I wish I lived close enough to help you with the sewing of your bag strap. Blanket stitch really isn't hard, you just have to sit down and try it. If you use thick enough thread or yarn, it will hold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home