Monday, June 25, 2007

12 angry stitches

No no no no no no no.

Looks like I'll be starting that different pair of socks after all.

I began work on the gusset and was feeling pretty good about things. Maybe I could finish this sock by Wednesday or Thursday. I picked up the stitches on one side and got to the needle that had been holding the other stitches while I worked on the heel flap. There were twelve too many. How could that be?

I looked at the instructions again and was confused. And then it hit me. I cast on twelve extra stitches. There's a perfectly good, albeit dumb, reason why I did this. Rather than divide the cast on stitches evenly among the needles, I went by the division at the gusset. What I failed to take into consideration when I had this brilliantly stupid idea was that decreases begin from that point so that I get back to working with the original number cast on. I suppose this explains why the variegation wasn't producing stripes.

I'm an idiot.

That I can accept. What kills me is the idea that all of the work to this point is wasted. I have twelve stitches more than I need, and I've had them since the first row. All I can do is rip out everything and start over.

*#%!

Maybe I'll feel up to performing that painful task tomorrow, but I don't have the heart for it tonight. I began the evening ready to finish a sock. Instead I'll be as far away from that goal as possible. If I'm going to be frustrated, I might as well take another stab at a sock on US 3 dpns with sport weight yarn. If that goes awry, I have a dishcloth on the needles.

*sigh*

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I feel your pain, my friend. Sorry all that time knitting was for naught. Today is just your turn in the frog pond. Ripit.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

oh man...so sorry, mark - that blows. definitely part of the whole knitting experience that none of us like. good luck w/ the other sock and when you are ready...ripit! :)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger miss ewe said...

D'oh. I totally understand. I still haven't ripped out my errant sweater from MONTHS ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home