Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Knitting season

Perhaps I'm being premature, but I believe we have entered prime knitting season in my neck of the woods. There was a noticeable chill in the air for much of the day and definitely in the late afternoon while I sat outside knitting prior to seeing a documentary about the eccentric former pitcher Bill Lee. (Obligatory film critic content: the movie is nothing short of a mess but is still interesting from a baseball fan's perspective.) Forecasters claim that it will get as low as 48 overnight.

Knitting and cooler temperatures just feel more right, so maybe my output will increase as we lose degrees in the coming months. While I won't blame the summer sun for my slow completion of projects, my productivity definitely took a hit. It shouldn't. I had more free time than I'll have this fall and winter, but it's possible that a tighter schedule hones my efficiency.

As I enjoyed the crisp air while knitting in public, I realized that I still talk myself through every single stitch. The knit, knit, purl mantra echoes through my head as I silently say what I need to do. I even tell myself to purl the slipped stitch that starts each row. It is not the most engaging internal monologue, but I think it has the effect of intensifying my focus even though I'm not always aware that I'm guiding myself like that. When my knitting is at its most effortless, I can go faster. Do you find the same to be true?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home