Thursday, September 04, 2008

A second last word

I promise this is the last of anything remotely political for a good, long while. I don't want to write it, but this is what has weighed on me more than anything else today.

Finally found some time to get back to knitting and knit night. Thank God for it. That may be the saving grace for me as politics becomes pretty much inescapable until Election Day. I was determined to stay out of it today, but it's the only thing people were talking about at work. Additionally, one of my brothers tried getting me embroiled in a big e-mail brouhaha over it. I won't tell him, but I didn't bother reading most of the enormous chunks of text he sent me because I've seen the talking points.

Enough.

I think the most dispiriting thing about the matter is that it is nigh impossible to have calm, reasoned discussions about the issues. Maybe it's always been this way, but it seems to me that there's no longer room or need for differences of opinion and philosophy. Instead it's about who can shout louder and longer. (For what it's worth, I'm fully aware that the party with which I'm affiliated isn't blameless in this game.)

Those of you who are acquainted with me offline know that I'm fairly low-key. (For all I know, that comes through here.) I'm not one looking to rock the boat or offend. I'm happy to stay quiet and listen. (Of course, I'll also talk your ear off if you get me going.) It doesn't mean I lack strong opinions--good grief, I'm a film critic--but that I also believe in being deferential and respectful. Those qualities are largely absent in the so-called debate, which is why I get disgusted with it as frequently as I do.

At lunch I went to the local campaign office to find out what I could do to help. As much as I've griped about wanting to escape from the political, this might seem like a strange thing to do, but going there I felt like I was given the ability to do something positive rather than get caught up in the muck that comes from reading and watching the latest news. (I refuse to canvas, which is mostly related to my job and minor visibility in the community, although I will do phone banks.)

I need the new fall TV season now more than ever...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

I know exactly how you feel. Going to the campaign office to volunteer or get a yard sign or whatever feels like standing for something, rather than just fending off brickbats. We all need to spend more time with people who energize us. It's not all a debate -- it ought to be a celebration as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home