Monday, June 02, 2008

Freebird

A day I've been looking forward to since finishing college all those years ago finally arrived. That's right, I paid off the remainder of my college loans. I know I teased something else for this entry, but today's transaction is important enough to me that the other stuff can wait until tomorrow.

Making the final payment this afternoon allowed me to breathe a big sigh of relief as it means that I am now 100% debt-free. I don't say that to boast--I certainly have no right to do so--but to relish a moment that has been a long time coming. I could have made payments over a few more months, but after looking at the balance and knowing I could wipe it all out today, it took all I had to keep from leaping out of my skin and zeroing what I owed.

Whether one owes monetarily or otherwise, the feeling of being in debt is never a pleasant one. It is an inescapable gnawing sensation that, if talk about the economy is at all accurate, is familiar to at least a few of those reading. I'm no longer burdened by it, but I empathize if you are.

I know that talk about money is considered verboten in polite company, but for this one instance I have to shout for joy. As long as it took to reach this day, I feel like I've earned a little celebratory expression.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:59 AM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Congratulations!!

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I know the feeling from recent experience and it is so awesome to just zero out a balance. :)

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Wow -- debt free! That's a huge deal in the current economic situation. I feel pretty good that the only debt we have is 6 more years on a mortgage. I don't know if we'll ever have enough money in the bank to buy a car for cash again (like we did with the two we have now), but they're going to last forever, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home