Monday, May 26, 2008

One year later

Hard as it is for me to believe, I moved into my new apartment one year ago today. If you were reading this blog prior to my relocation, you're likely well aware of what prompted it. For the rest of you, the reason can be summed up as loud, obnoxious neighbors.

Without a doubt, moving was the best decision I made last year. Home is a place of relaxation again. While I knew that circumstances at my old apartment were stressing me out, I wasn't aware how bad it had become. It took me awhile for the sound of rain not to have me nervously scanning the ceiling for signs of leakage. (That problem recurred for two and a half years in spite of repair work.) Hearing footsteps coming up to the second floor was not cause for alarm of a loud night from the neighbors. It's like I was recovering from a mild case of apartment-related PTSD.

Sure, $4.00 per gallon gasoline makes having a commute to work from where I live now seems less than wise, but I've made other changes to offset the increasing cost of driving. This holiday weekend I didn't venture more than a couple miles from home. I regretted losing the neighborhood feel and quick access by foot to several places from my previous uptown suburban apartment, but I've been pleasantly surprised to find how much is within walking distance from my current home.

A year later it's nice to sit here and enjoy the results of a good decision. Ultimately, I suppose that's all I really wanted in a home: to be comfortable and at ease.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger Ruth's Place said...

I have to say, you've sounded much more relaxed this year :) I'm glad the move has been good for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home