Friday, May 23, 2008

The next step

Design experiment #1 was declared a success--and grants me the absurd, self-bestowed status of "designer" on Ravelry--but where do I go from there? The answer: learning intarsia, double knitting, or mosaic knitting.

I suppose this is when the realization comes that it can often be best not to know what one is getting into. When I decided to take a stab at figuring out the pattern for the logo, I didn't expect that the challenge was going to stretch my knowledge or abilities much. It seemed cut and dried that you trace the logo in a grid, convert the shape into knits and purls, and then knit it. I had a vague notion of how gauge factored into the equation, but it wasn't worried about it.

Now here I am on the precipice of learning a new technique or more. I watched a couple videos at Knitting Help.com to help with choosing the best way (translation: most comprehensible to me) to proceed in making the dishcloth I envisioned. I should be intimidated, but I've come this far that I might as well knuckle down and try to learn something that I've doubted I can do. The long weekend will be good for this.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement regarding my foray into pattern writing. It might not seem like much to write down a few positive words of praise, but they've made me feel good. Taking satisfaction in one's achievements is nice; receiving compliments from others is equally wonderful.

I've said many times that I held no illusions about what I could do when I started knitting. Truthfully, I set the bar pretty low. The support and kindness you all have provided to me, even if via brief blog comments, are responsible in part for me attempting to do what I wouldn't have thought possible. Sometimes it helps when others have more faith in us. Let me try to repay it in kind. If I can design something and learn these new techniques, so can you.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home