Saturday, May 31, 2008

Technique check

I open today's entry with a brief note of thanks to Donna, whose comments to yesterday's post qualify her as a knitting guardian angel of sorts. While it turns out that I am indeed doing SKP (slip-knit-pass slipped stitch over) and knitting in front and back correctly, it's nice to have some independent confirmation and/or direction toward the proper help.

If it seems as though I have a tendency to believe I'm doing things the wrong way, it's because there is precedent, whether knitting-related or otherwise. I still hold a writing implement incorrectly. A pen or pencil is clutched in a scrunched up hand almost like I'm making a fist. The same probably applies to utensil usage as well. I've never had the greatest posture, to add one more to satisfy the rule of three. So I guess my elementary school teachers have some explaining to do.

This knitting uncertainty brought me to the Ravelry wiki, which should assist me with technique questions that crop up as I learn. Being led to video evidence that I'm doing SKP and kfb properly was quite nice. It's also a worthy reminder not to doubt my ability to pick up knitting skills. While there's a lot I'm partially convinced is beyond me, I'm farther along at a beginner stage than I ever thought I'd be. So that's something.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Awww ... I'm just an insufferable busybody. But thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home