Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Eurovision knitting

While trawling the comments on The Hater's entry about Eurovision 2008, I saw mention of knitting in one of the country's routines. Since I had nothing better to write about today, I had to track it down to share with you.

It took watching two other performances of Bosnia and Herzegovina's entry--including one in English, if you're dying to know what they're singing--before I located the one in question. I've always been loathe to embed YouTube videos, especially for stuff that's likely to get yanked by rights holders, but I wanted to make it as easy as possible to watch this catchy abomination...with choreographed knitting by brides.



Seeing as Eurovision merits very little attention in the U.S., I don't have the slightest idea what is up with this extraordinarily tacky competition, but I sort of love it from afar. (Assuming it hasn't been pulled down, Ireland's entry, which I find strangely mesmerizing, defies description. It must be seen.)

With all the other nonsense that makes it to TV here, why don't we get to see this? More frightfully, why aren't we doing an American equivalent? Or is that what the MTV Video Music Awards are for?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Eurovision is hilarious. It gets shown every year in Australia with extremely sarcastic and witty commentary from England. I love it - one of the great sadnesses of my life is that they don't show it in Africa and I've missed it for the last three years.

I think it was originally designed to promote European peace (Abba won one year - it's that old) but has degenerated into the campy goodness that you see today...
You should see if you can get hold of the UK's broadcast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home