Saturday, May 24, 2008

Process of elimination

Ever have one of those days where you wonder where the time went? I didn't have any plans, but somehow the day slipped away from me without getting much of anything done.

I have decided that double knitting is probably not the best method for realizing Design Experiment #1 as a dishcloth. This tutorial was helpful in teaching me how to do double knitting. I practiced with some stash yarn and think I got the hang of it with only a few mistakes.

That being said, it seems as though this method would work best if the project was entirely in stockinette. I'm not sure how that might change my design. I don't feel like doing a second experiment, so that's part of the reason for nixing double knitting.

Another reason is the slowness of the method. I'm knitting twice as much as necessary and half as fast. (Let's not discuss struggling to keep the two strands from tangling.) While it might look pretty cool, I don't think I have the patience for it.

A third strike is the inevitable confusion that will come when trying to keep it all straight. I think I would be complicating the project by an enormous amount if using double knitting. It would be very easy to lose track of what stitch I'm on.

Mosaic knitting can also be eliminated from the list of methods. Turns out I already know how to do it, but it won't work for my pattern.

So I suppose that leaves me with intarsia. I don't know if I'll give it a shot tomorrow or if I'll switch to a different project that my CotLin yarn is begging to be knitted into. I'll say this: it's been an educational week.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home