Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dishcloth!

Arkansas dishcloth

Yarn: Lily The Original Sugar'n Cream (100% cotton; worsted weight)
Color: Red
Needles: US 7s
Stitches: 38

We interrupt meme-ing for Actual Knitting Content. I've stalled on the crocheting that needs to be done on the secret projects, so I might as well add in something else to the packages going to my vacation hosts. One Arkansas dishcloth down, one to go. (The color looks better with one's eyes, not through the camera lens. My Nikon does not like red under artificial light.)

I may start another one tonight, although I run the risk of having it partially completed and needing those needles for Dish Rag Tag. Perfect justification to buy more needles, right? The box is winging its way west to me. I was preparing to skip something on Friday so I could receive the package, knit my dishcloth, and send it to the next team member in the same day, but it looks like the earliest I'll get it is Saturday.

Maybe that's just as well. I need to pick a pattern. Rendering Texas and Arkansas in cotton has been fun, but the final objects aren't big enough. (The person I'm tagging shouldn't fret that an Indiana dishcloth is forthcoming.) Rather than start another Arkansas dishcloth this evening, I'll probably flip through patterns so I'm ready to go.

My extensive vacation blogging covered a good bit of territory, but I failed to write about a charming southern custom. In my experience, parents in the south have their children address adults as Mr. or Miss First Name. For the life of me I can't remember how my parents had us kids speak to adults, but I'm pretty sure we didn't do the same. I like the formality and intimacy conveyed in the title and first name. Using Mr. Last Name would afford more respect than is necessary while saying only the first name would seem too familiar. Regardless of if the convention is used elsewhere, it strikes me as something uniquely southern. Plus, it's adorable coming from kids.

Note to Donna and Noel: sorry my Reds have had your Braves' number. I can't remember the last time they had this much success against Atlanta.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid growing up in Western Australia we addressed adults by Aunty/Uncle First name regardless of kinship. Some parents in here in South Africa do the same thing, so I've become Aunty Ruth to a host of children :)

I enjoyed reading your 4 things meme.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

another fun dishcloth...guess i need to make a few for my out of state friends : )

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still address "adults" that way if I feel uncomfortable calling them by their first name alone. It's just easier than the last name thing.

You seem to be in major dishcloth production. I'm totally jealous of your productivity! :-)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Karen said...

My parents' close friends were always our Tantes and Onkles (the German version of aunt and Uncle), similar to what Ruth posted. My kids call my close friends Auntie Donna and Auntie Sharon and my best friend Aunt Karen in that same tradition.

Their dad, on the other hand, uses the southern tradition with his friends.

Quite a mixed bag for my kids! Definitely no first names for adults yet, though.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger donnadb said...

Awww ... look at my state! Woooooo pig!

We made a conscious decision to have the kids call friends Mr. Mark and Miss Jane (for example). Last names are too formal, but first names are just icky to my Southern ears.

You and I are likely to get our DRT boxes close to the same time ... although I don't think mine will be here before Tuesday. So maybe we can't race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home