Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Just what I needed

Mercy. It is hot.

Jenn took off work on Monday, so the day was spent strolling the streets of Fayetteville and taking breaks, knitting and writing for me, grad school reading and writing for her. For breakfast she planned to take me to La Maison Des Tartes, a French bakery if the name isn't enough of a tipoff, but we were rebuffed since they are closed Mondays. Not to worry. We made our way a bit up the road to the library for coffee at Arsaga's. She read her book, and I got my daily blogging finished.

We wandered over to the square and lunched at Hugo's, a below street level establishment the likes of which are familiar in college towns. I ordered a chicken po' boy while she went for the vegetarian burger with smoky cheddar. Eventually we were joined by the previous night potluck dinner's host and his dad, who happened to walk in shortly after we told the waitress what we wanted. Small world.

After lunch it was time to go to Hand Held-A Knitting Gallery. It's a cute local shop that has many of the name specialty yarns I've heard of. (Yes, sock knitters, they have Koigu.) We browsed the aisles but made it out without purchasing anything. I take it that this is a rarity among knitters. Hand Held also has a nice area for knitters to sit--more on that tomorrow--and this friendly critter named Sasha.

After that it was back to Jenn's apartment so she could finish Writing Genres and I could knit secret project #2. I tagged along to the University of Arkansas campus while she had class. I meandered for awhile, but it was so stinking hot that I found a chair under an overhang and resumed knitting. A breeze was blowing through, so it wasn't bad even if I needed a handkerchief to mop my brow. I moved into the air conditioned student union for awhile and enjoyed the hilly view from my vantage point in the food court seating.

The rest of the evening brought a tasty curry made by Jenn's boyfriend, meeting up with some of their friends for drinks, and more knitting. It may not sound like the sort of vacation one brags about to others--I jumped out of an airplane! And then I swam with sharks!--but it's been just what I needed.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Oh, I've heard Lance makes a mean curry.

You've shown up on the hottest week of the year! Congratulations, here's your misting mini-fan.

There sure are lots of secrets on this here blog.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

All in due time, Donna. All in due time. :)

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds like you are having a great time! Don't know how you passed up vacation yarn, though...if there ever was an excuse to buy some yarn, vacation is the best : ) (Obviously, I lack the self-control that you have when it comes to that sort of thing lol)

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect holiday to me.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

I know the secrets! Lalala.

It's really too bad I have to work so much. But at least I got to take Monday off!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home