Sunday, August 12, 2007

Radiation vibe

The lion's share of running around was done on Thursday and Friday. Saturday was more like a typical weekend day except for doing pretty much whatever was possible to avoid the summer sun. Donna and Noel took the kids to the library for morning story time. I tagged along, toting my knitting with me, and worked on my sock while the librarian led the children in songs and told a few tales. One even mentioned knitting. There you have it.

After lunch at Cancun Mexican Restaurant, the place I first met up with the whole gang in 2005, it was time to visit Bella Lana Knitting, Conway's yarn shop. I'll reiterate that currently I don't have anything particular I'm looking for, so I emerged without making a purchase. Donna and I sat and knit with the proprietor and two other women. They were surprised to see both of us knitting socks on dpns, which earned a demonstration of magic loop knitting.

We left to do more knitting and meet Amanda at a coffee shop. Unknown to us, the anticipated spot closed early on Saturday afternoon, so we switched locations to Something Brewing but missed Amanda in the mix-up. Donna and I knitted and chatted. Really, it couldn't have been better. She's such a smart, interesting, and generous woman, and I'm blessed to have her as a friend. With good company and knitting, what else did I need?

Donna practiced her dishcloth for Dish Rag Tag while I continued to forget if I was on a toe shaping decrease round on my sock. I was amused to observe that she too wraps yarn with her left hand. (Just the other day my continental knitting preference took another knitter by surprise.) As was par for the course on the day, she continued to run into people she knew, reinforcing the impression that everyone, including Donna, knows everyone in this small city.

For dinner she took me to Mike's Place, her pick for Conway's best restaurant and one of the few "wet" establishments in this dry county. I should explain since I don't think I've encountered a similar situation elsewhere. The county could more correctly be identified as "damp", meaning that alcohol sales are not allowed except in approved restaurants that function as private clubs. One must be a member or be with a member to eat at these places. A nominal fee is required for membership, so unconnected out-of-towners can dine there, assuming that the visitors aren't put off by needing to spend a little extra to be permitted to be served. We had to sign in, likely to provide a legal record that no one will ever check. Dinner was delicious--I went for the French cut pork chops with side salad and baked potato--and the conversation was equally wonderful.

Back at her home it was more knitting and watching TV. I finished my sock--picture forthcoming--and had her give me a refresher on single crochet. I can come clean now and say that the secret projects are knitted needle covers from Hollywood Knits Style. As a way of expressing my thanks for their hospitality and friendship I've made one each for Jenn and Donna, my gracious hosts on this trip. They've seen the projects. I hoped to give these items to them while in Arkansas, but the single crochet seaming and edging has slowed my progress. And I still have to figure out back stitch.

At the risk of embarrassing Donna--I think I've probably already done that for Jenn--let me sing her praises here. She and her family embraced me with so much warmth that I felt like a treasured guest. I admire and respect Donna and Noel, not only for what they do but who they are. To spend time with and be spoiled by friends with whom I feel simpatico is wonderful in ways that words come up short.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Allow me to recommend the SK to all readers of this blog as a houseguest. Low maintenance, responsive conversationalist, equally game for sightseeing and couch-potatoing. He let me indulge him, but seemed equally as happy just hanging out. My kind of visitor. Invite him to your town today!

And the needleholders are impressive swathes of stockingette stitch -- I can see how much time has gone into them so far. I wasn't much help on the single crochet, but there are those far better qualified that me in that department. I confess that I covet the finished product, and I'll happily swap it for an embarrassing high school video of a person with some power over Noel and me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home