Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Picture time

Since I've been writing all night--had to catch up on some film site stuff--I'm going to split the remainder of vacation photos and ruminations over two days. Hopefully you're not sick of it yet.

As you can see above, secret project #2 was knit in public while I had a view of the football stadium. Alas, my lugging around of a notebook computer and various other things in my messenger bag led to a rip in the strap's seam. I took it to JoAnn's today to get some help.

The bad news was that the rest of the stitches at that spot needed to be ripped out. The store employee did the painful work for me and helped me pick out some thread. She told me that I ought to sew it with blanket stitch and spoke as though this were an opportunity to do a design or something where the strap is disconnected. I like that attitude in creative people, but in this case I just fret that I've done irreparable damage to the bag. I do not have much confidence in my sewing abilities.

Here's the stadium I could see while knitting.

And the wild hog from which the university draws its nickname.

The Fayetteville library provides this spectacular view of the hills. One thing I forgot to blog about, but which I know one of my readers will appreciate, is the hand dryers in the bathrooms. (I snapped a couple of quick photos, but they didn't turn out. I hope you can understand that I was in a hurry to take the pictures without anyone walking in and wondering what I was doing.) The XLerator Excel Dryer succeeds where other electric hand dryers fail. It dries your hands. The rocket engine blast of air makes a rippling indentation in your skin. This thing has some serious power behind it.

I can't imagine how many years it might take to do an inventory of the Dickson Street Book Shop. It would probably be a Sisyphean task. If someone wanted to remake the "Time Enough at Last" episode from The Twilight Zone, this would be a good setting for it.

Yeah, they have a few books.

I didn't go to The Mystic Melon, but I thought the house looked interesting from the outside. Fayetteville has a bohemian vibe, something you can see in a home/gallery/flea market like this.

The Fayetteville courthouse is near the square. Will the contemporary architecture of such buildings look as interesting seventy years from now? I doubt it.

I got a kick out of this laundromat's name, so I had to take a photo.

More pictures tomorrow as well as some final thoughts.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home