Saturday, August 11, 2007

Southern hospitality

Friday began with breakfast at Stoby's, a small restaurant that Donna said would give me the authentic Conway experience. Every town has a place for the movers and shakers to eat on a regular basis, and apparently this is it. I love biscuits and gravy, so how could I be in the south and not order it?

Fueled up for another cooker of a day we headed into Little Rock and the Clinton Presidential Library and Museum. The former President remains popular with many in the area. For those weary of our current administration, a trip here is a refreshing reminder of what our leaders can be like despite their personal failings. Exhibits break down Clinton's accomplishments. Copies of his daily schedule, down to the mundane details, can be perused. A sampling of Presidential gifts are on display, including part of an enormous Dale Chihuly Christmas tree. (Donna explained that it comes in three parts and is too big to fit.) The Cabinet room and Oval Office are reproduced, so for a fleeting moment I could sit in the Secretary of Health and Human Services chair.

We hopped on a trolley to the River Market area and lunched at Boscos. I had my first taste of crawfish in a fried appetizer and went the healthy route with a fried chicken salad. The mixed greens offset the caloric cost of fried chicken, right? We walked around for a short bit before catching a trolley back to the museum.

The next destination was the Hillcrest neighborhood to meet up with her former students Justin and Kerry at a coffee shop. It was also our first opportunity to knit together or, in my case, to unknit. A lot. It's been some time since I worked on the sock, and I knit on the wrong side. I knew something didn't look correct, but I thought it might fix itself after two rounds. Honestly, I should know better. I got lots of practice undoing stitches and picking up dropped ones if undoing them was proving too difficult.

Noel made a good, light dinner, and then I got back to repairing the damage I'd inflicted on the sock. Donna had to take off to attend a graduation ceremony. I was able to resist the temptation to tag along. I opted for TV and knitting. There are a few stitches on the bottom of the foot which are messed up, but rather than frog a few rows, something which I felt could have catastrophic results, I left it as is.

I'm down to one full day remaining on the trip. I've had a great time. Donna and Noel have been exceptional hosts, and I've really enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with them. Their kids are cute and well behaved. Although Donna might feel otherwise, their home is sufficiently clean, not something to fret over. An undeniable aspect of this trip has been the heat, but what I'll take with me is the warmth of a different kind I've received.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Karen said...

So happy to read you've been having a good time with your friends!

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE BLOG.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home