Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lazing about

Considering I engaged in some intensive knitting while vacationing in Arkansas, you'd think that I would be a machine now that I'm home and off work for the week. Except for attending a few screenings, my schedule has been open. Lazy days have been spent going for walks, writing, and napping in the afternoon. I have not picked up the needles since returning.

I want to to knit. I should finish the secret projects, although they require weaving in ends, seaming with single crochet, and learning back stitch. I should cast on for a second sock so I will finally have a pair. (I've knit three singles, one for a baby and two different ones for me.) I should figure out how to do blanket stitch so I can sew the messenger bag strap together. I should get the items to include for my leg of Dish Rag Tag. That's a lot of shoulds.

So why have I been so unproductive? I blame too much freedom. Having no restrictions sounds good in theory, but in practice it produces chaos or paralysis. My days in Arkansas were far from rigidly structured, but they had enough shape to give me direction during free time. At home I can do as I please when it suits me, but formless days lead to aimless activity, if that much gets accomplished. Or I could lay on the futon and catch up on recorded TV.

All this lazing about isn't a bad thing--I'm not chomping at the bit to get back to work--but I could use a little motivation to goose my slacker ways. I could finish all those things that are awaiting completion, or I could throw something else onto the heap and see if that gets me moving.

Which means that I'm going to follow in Jennifer's shoes and participate in the Pay It Forward exchange. Here's the deal: I'll knit something for the first three people who leave a comment asking to play along. What I will knit is undetermined. Apparently I have up to a year to fulfill my end of the bargain, although we all know that I'll be faster than that. All you have to do is agree to do the same on your blog.

Leave a comment, but you should also e-mail me with your e-mail address, assuming I don't already have it. I might try to follow through for more than three people, but I reserve the right to get preoccupied with something else and stick to the rules as they are laid out.

That's better. I'm feeling motivated already.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:07 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

i love lazy days, although sometimes it's hard for me not to feel guilty for not being productive. i say push through the guilt and go for the extra nap : )

glad you are playing along w/ the pif...i'm gonna take my time w/ it, but am excited to decide on some projects for it. and also to watch the movie since i haven't seen it...added it to my netflix so if i ever return narnia, it'll be next in my mailbox. ;)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

Am I so completely lucky that I can be out of town and still arrive home in time to be one of the first three comments? I'd love to play along.

I'm sorry I missed you while you were here. Too many crossed wires and uncrossed paths I suppose. I'm glad to see you had a great time, but I am a little jealous that we still don't get to see the secret projects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home