Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Boy Done Wrong Again

OK, here's what the sock currently looks like. Heel, turned. Error, below.

See that piece of yarn a smidgen below the needle that doesn't match up with everything else? That's the mistake I was talking about yesterday. Obviously it shouldn't be like that. Beats me what it is, but I can live with it. I don't think it's going to create any problems as I proceed.

Make that when I proceed. I am having a momentary lapse of comprehension with these directions.

From the instructions: "Note that for ease of instructions, beg of rnd is now at center of bottom of foot. The needles are renumbered at this point. Needle 1 is beg of rnd." OK, I've got 24 stitches on needle 1. 22 stitches are on needles 2 and 3. The instructions for the gusset is where I'm getting thrown: "Divide heel sts evenly onto needles 1 and 3. Sts. on needles 1 and 3: 12 sts. Needle 2: instep sts, then: PU 22 sts from side of heel flap, PU 2 sts at top of gusset."

As I understand that, the 22 stitches on needle 2 should be transferred to needle 3 (which then becomes needle 2)and 12 of the 24 stitches on what is now needle 3 should go to the new needle 1, giving me this breakdown:

Needle 1: 12 stitches
Needle 2: 44 stitches
Needle 3: 12 stitches

See why I'm kind of confused?

OK, I think that makes sense now that I've typed it all out, but I appreciate any insight and advice you might have.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Blogger miss ewe said...

Actually, I think you're doing fine. Basically, to reiterate what you've said, the instep stitches (which is the piece that goes down the front of your foot, uninvolved in the heel and gusset) go on one needle. If you're knitting a patterned sock (cables or whatever), these stitches usually continue on in the established pattern. Then the heel stitches that you just turned will be divided in two so that half the heel plus your picked up stitches from one side go on one needle, and the picked up stitches from the other side, and the other half go on another. The back/bottom of the foot is the start of the round.

Because picking up stitches is already a bit fussy, I usually leave the heel stitches where they are for the moment. Knit 'em, but leave 'em on one needle for now, because trying to move the needle for picking up once it's already got 12 stitches on it is more annoying than knitting needs to be. Put all your instep stitches on one needle so you have some free ones.

Now, use one of your free needles to pick up the requisite stitches from the first side of the gusset. Make sure you're working on the outside of the sock... (work is behind the needles) Let's call that Needle A.

Use the next free needle to knit across your instep. That's side B.

Use the next free needle to pick up the requisite stitches from the second side of the gusset. Continue on this needle to knit half the heel stitches. This is Needle C.

Now you're out of needles (in a pack of 4), so slide the other half of the heel stitches onto Needle A, where they're s'posed to be. You are now about to start the next round.

Capice? I think you've already got it, but sometimes it helps (me!) to have it explained differently to confirm.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Exactly what Kate (Miss Ewe) said!

And your little error/design is going to be in your shoe. What does it look like from the right side?

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss ewe is wise. If the 'problem' is on the inside and it doesn't affect stitch numbers then it doesn't matter. Love the yarn you're using btw

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger knitting chick said...

I would agree. but who ever wrote that pattern, was smoking something. most sock patterns are wrote in what I call "blonde language." then there are others that you wonder what the #%@*!!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Big thanks to Kate. That helps clarify things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home