Thursday, July 12, 2007

Alternative nation

Whether it's being a fan of a marginally known band or filmmaker or being involved in a subculture like knitting, it's often interesting to get the mainstream perspective. What's taken for granted by those in the know is viewed with surprise and, in some cases, bemusement by those on the outside. Until I became better acquainted with the knitting universe, I didn't have the foggiest idea that it was hip or enjoying a resurgence.

Essentially, that's the tack taken in a couple recent newspaper pieces. The New York Times talks about the influence of the domestic arts on fashion while the Kansas City Star looks at edgy projects unlikely to have been made by your great-great-grandmother.

Although neither of these articles state that knitting is merely the fad du jour, these kind of trend pieces tend to imply as much. It would seem, though, that the substantial population increase--according to the Times report, four million new knitters since 2003--indicates that this isn't something one sticks with on a whim. If anything, knitting requires a time commitment that will quickly separate the trendoids from the dedicated.

You know that I'm relatively new to all this, but I'm curious how long the rest of you have been knitting. What got you started? Did you get caught up in this current wave, or is it something you've been doing since childhood? And do you feel hip yet? :)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been fascinated by yarn. I remember as a young kid going to agricultural shows and standing transfixed for hours in front of the spinners doing demonstrations until my mother dragged me away.

She was completely non-crafty, but did teach me to knit when I was 9. I dabbled on and off for years, don't remember finishing anything though.

I did a bit of knitting while at college, but was too busy studying. First thing I finished was a jumper for husband to be - he picked the yarn and pattern (I didn't know about the boyfriend curse, but it didn't strike).

Knitting really took off for me when I got to about 29, the biological clock went nuts, and I was working in a school where we knit for charity.

Then I moved to South Africa, became a knit blogger saw all the amazing stuff other people were doing and have elevated knitting to a 'life-style'.

It becomes more important to me as I get older. At last count I have 'infected' 4 South Africans with the knitting bug. They bring out their knitting to show when I go visit and bring mistakes and stuff to my office for corrections. (insert evil laughter here)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Hmmm... I was taught to crochet my mom and my Tante when I was about 7 years old. They tried to teach me knitting then, also, but crochet is what stuck.

About 3 years ago, I was facing some major changes in my life. Lots of stress, insomnia, some health issues. I decided I needed something to do while I was sitting up at night, and picked up a "how to knit" book and some needles with the encouragement of friends I had just spent the weekend with.

It didn't take long for knitting to become a sort of meditation for me. Nearly everything I knit becomes a gift for someone else. It isn't until now, three years later, that I'm looking at keeping items for myself.

Knitters are some of the most amazingly generous people I've ever met. Since March of this year, I've been to 3 book signings for knittng related books. I've met more people than I count. By going to knitting nite at two of my local yarn stores, I have made many friends.

Is knitting a fad? I don't think so. People are looking for quality. People are looking for a way to stay connected to reality in a world that is becoming more and more virtual. In a world that moves so quickly, people are wanting to take some time to slow down and do things in a meaningful way.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I learned to knit in mid to late 2005, so not that long ago, I guess, although it feels like I've been knitting all my life.

My friends at work joined a lunchtime Volunteers for Life group who was learning to knit baby blankets for preemies at a local hospital. They told me I should join them, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I started my first practice cloth and have been completely hooked ever since.

Do I feel hip? Heck yeah...like a hip granny sometimes, what w/ the frequent jabs from family and friends when I admit that I'd rather knit than hang out or do almost anything else, but hip nonetheless!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Thanks for sharing your detailed stories. Very interesting stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home