Thursday, June 21, 2007

Perfect circle

I've been tense this week, anxious even. It snuck up on me and, frankly, caught me by surprise. I won't go into why I think I've felt that way. Don't worry, it's nothing calamitous. The only reason I make mention of it is because whether online or offline--you know, the physical world rather than this electronic bubble--I feel like I'm an open book. If I've seemed terse, that explains it. If you haven't noticed, never mind.

I have realized that knitting has helped alleviate the tension. That's no revelation. After all, it's why I began in the first place. Knitting time has been at a premium this week, so the effects of working on the needles really struck me when I found an hour with them after work and before tonight's screening. It helped calm me down after a day (and a week) that's been wearing on my nerves.

It's such an innocuous thing to do, working needles and yarn back and forth, yet it can have such a profound effect on the knitter. Since I started knitting about eight months ago, I would guess that I've knitted at least a little on 90% of those days. (Don't look so shocked. I've certainly blogged plenty about it.) I enjoy it, obviously, and have discovered that it is an important part of my day. It's nice to have you all to share it with because my knitting certainly puzzles everyone else.

I haven't found satori through knitting, nor do I expect to. Yeah, I know I'm preaching to the choir here. You're aware of all this. Sorry, I'm on repeat mode with no destination in sight.

So, I'll wrap with this. I should have an FO tomorrow and a report from the first night of the NHL draft.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger miss ewe said...

Knitting, hitting the gym, and some good music-making are my top three daily "I'm a better me if..." things. I completely understand.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Karen said...

If I don't get some knitting time, I get pretty cranky. That and walking - my main exercise - keep me sane. Knitting is also way cheaper than therapy, and at the end you have all these nice little gifts to give to friends and family. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home