Sunday, June 24, 2007

Zen and the art of sock knitting

I am knitted out for the day.

I've returned in earnest to sock knitting so that this sock isn't an orphan. This time around I've been knitting it with the right side on the outside to start, which has made handling the needles much easier and quicker. I'm to the gusset, so depending on how much time I devote to the sock, I might be finished in a couple days.

The strange thing is that this one hasn't developed the circular stripes that the other one had. (As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.) I'm using the same skein of yarn, and I don't think that I've done anything differently. Knitting with the right side on the inside wouldn't produce a different result than if it were on the outside, would it?

I'm curious to see if I can finish this sock before the skein runs out. I think it's going to be a close call. I have another one in my stash in case, but I wouldn't have expected two socks to require more than a 100 gram skein with 205 yards of worsted weight yarn.

For as much trouble as I had making that first baby sock, it is coming along much more smoothly now. There were even a couple moments when I fell into that state when I'm completely zoned out, a manner of being that gets broken as soon as I acknowledge it. I went back to check that my stitches were as they should be. Sure enough, they were fine, so I guess I've attained a kind of knitting nirvana where I am fully in the moment.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Sometimes the pooling and striping is totally random.

Hmmmm... sounds like maybe, just maybe, you like this sock knitting thing? ;-)

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Like, yes. And really, I just want to have the pair finished.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I just finished a pair today! Yay me! And I'm on the heel of sock one of another pair.

Looking forward to seeing your finished pair.

Guess what I did today? Cast on for a washcloth! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home