Tuesday, February 13, 2007

To Arkansas, With Love

Ribbed scarf

Yarn: Knit Picks Panache (40% baby alpaca, 20% cashmere, 20% silk, 20% extrafine merino; bulky)
Color: Dusk
Needles: US 10s
Stitches: 24

My southbound package arrived in Arkansas yesterday, so now I can show you the last two scarves I knitted. Out of everything I've made, the ribbed scarf for Donna has to be one of my favorites. Disregarding some early misfires and excessive froggings, my first time ribbing turned out pretty well. And the yarn is heavenly. I picked it for the color, yet the wonderful softness is what makes it a great choice.

Donna also sent me this stylish, color coordinated photo taken in her office today. I couldn't be more pleased with the thanks she and Noel have expressed.
Scarf

Yarn: Knit Picks Andean Silk (55% superfine alpaca, 23% silk, 22% merino wool; worsted weight double wrapped)
Color: Lettuce
Needles: US 11s
Stitches: 14

The scarf I made for Donna's husband Noel is the same as FO #13, with the obvious exception of the color. A piece of advice: you're going to want to wrap this around your neck twice once it stretches. That's been part of my ongoing education. Things in garter stitch stretch. Imagine that.

When I told Donna about this blog, I had no expectations that it would lead her to take up knitting too. Now she's whipping through projects in no time. (She just finished a felted scarf for her daughter.) And she taught herself. I'm very impressed.

More than that, I'm touched that what I've written inspired her. (Her friend Jenn made a similar comment to a recent post, kind words for which I am very grateful.) The inspiration I've felt--in my writing and my day-to-day life--has been the most exciting and unexpected aspect of learning to knit. That others get something from my excitement makes my heart feel like it will burst.

I respect and admire Donna, and I feel lucky to have been able to get to know her better in recent months. (Let's not forget Noel, who is a great guy and excellent writer in his own right.) It's been a real joy. The scarves are my way of expressing thanks for the friendship. May they keep you warm.

4 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Awww ... I'm all fuzzy, inside and out. Happy Valentine's Day, Mark.

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow - the scarves turned out FABULOUSLY!!!! I love the color choices and the knitting looks great - you've come a long way, baby : )

Stay warm, Mark - if Columbus is anything like Cleveland this morning, you're probably stuck in your cold apartment just like me. Hopefully I'll get some knitting done today, unless I brave the cold and decide to dig myself out of the driveway to go into work later...we'll see.

Happy Valentine's Day!

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarves look amazing. Hope you are keeping warm. I won't tell you that I spent the day at the beach today, sometimes my job is really hard (tee hee)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

:)

Those scarves are great!

I finished the boyfriend's hat, which he is now ecstatically wearing everywhere. I'll post a picture of it soon because it turned out really well! :) That's what a sick day will get you...lots of time on the couch with only knitting to do.

Happy Valentine's!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home