Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Booking it

On those occasions when I flip through knitting books, I do more flipping than looking. In other words, there's a lot in them that isn't for me, doesn't interest me, or appears too difficult. I'm well aware that the majority of these books aren't written with my gender in mind. That's fine. I'm not asking for special treatment, but it would be nice to find a book that has more than one or two things in it that meet my knit-worthy criteria.

I think I've found one. I've seen Mason-Dixon Knitting mentioned quite often, and my favorite color swap secret pal sent me a ballband dishcloth made from the pattern in it. I placed a reserve on the book at the library and picked it up this afternoon. Ordinarily I'll page through and glance at the pictures, but I read the first few pages of this book. Then I took my time going through each pattern and checking what was involved.

I liked several of the patterns I saw, so I might have to order a copy for myself. I'm already having insane thoughts of making log cabin blankets for Christmas gifts. If I do that--and that's a big if--I better get cracking soon.

What are your favorite knitting books? Also, what are you reading at the moment? I'm ready to dig into A Thread Across the Ocean: The Heroic Story of the Transatlantic Cable. Despite the title, it has nothing to do with knitting.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Amanda D Allen said...

I'm currently reading Blink and the only knitting book I have is Knit 2 Together but I haven't read a page of it. I just wanted to the rumors of a Stitch and Bitch Male version: Son Of Stitch and Bitch

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger donnadb said...

Actually I ran across that awesome ballband dishcloth pattern for free on the net just the other day ...

http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/Ballband%20Dishcloth.htm

That's the Peaches and Creme manufacturer. But you can knit it in your favorite Sugar and Creme just as well.

That said, I have Mason-Dixon Knitting, and with its housewares pattern and that popular log cabin knitting section, you might find a whole lot to knit that is not as female-centric. I recommend it!

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I love the Mason-Dixon book. I also like Last Minute Knitted Gifts, One Skein by Leigh Radford, and there's another One Skein Wonders by Judith Durant. You might check out Men Who Knit and the Dogs Who Love Them by Annie Modesitt and Drew Emborsky.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

MDK is one of my favorite knitting books - I've knitted a couple things from the book and want to make several more, including the bubble curtain for a room in my new house.

Currently I'm reading "Yarn Harlot - The Secret Life of a Knitter", "Chicks with Sticks" and a couple other books that I just can't find the time to get through. Someday I'll make the time to finish them all lol

The last time I was at Barnes and Noble, I found several knitting books geared toward men, so you should be able to find plenty. I'm excited about the Son of Stitch n Bitch...can't wait til that comes out!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger the secret knitter said...

Cool. I had no idea that Son of Stitch 'n Bitch was on the way.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Forgot to add that I just finished reading Janet Evanovich's Lean Mean Thirteen (total fluff, but I'm an addict! LOL). Next up is Born on a Blue Day, about living with Asperger's Syndrome.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Ruby said...

I'm de-lurking finally. Must tell you how inspiring your foray into sock knitting has been for me. It's something that I've wanted to do since I started knitting, but couldn't quite get the courage up for what I knew would be a challenging project. I've got seven projects on the needles, plus one on my crochet hook, so I have to wait a little bit longer. But after seeing your efforts pay off, my next new project will be socks.

Knitting With Balls: A hands-on guide to knitting for the modern man by Micheal del Vecchio has some nice patterns. I haven't tried to knit any of them, but got it from the Columbus Metropolitan library to look for patterns for x-mas gifts for some male friends.

I obsess over knitting and have acquired many knitting books and magazines. I love Sally Melville's The Knitting Experience series; I have the first three books and can't wait for the fourth to be published. I taught myself to knit from books and hers were very helpful.

As for non-knitting reading, I'm reading a Miss Seeton mystery to relax. Then next up is Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood for my book club.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home