Saturday, May 12, 2007

Knitting in the round

Baby hat

Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic)
Colors: 31 and 33 (baby pink and dark rose)
Needles: US 8 dpns
Stitches: 54

OK, so I made some mistakes knitting this in the round, but all in all, it turned out fine. I had some panicked moments as I approached the final decreases as I must have turned around one of the dpns and lost my place because the hat was being knitted together in an odd way. Fortunately I avoided a major catastrophe and got everything straightened out in time to get confused again while threading the yarn through to draw up the seams. I also thought I might have dropped a stitch in the process, but best as I can tell, it's OK.

I'm convinced that I should knit hats only in the round. It'll save me from my dissatisfaction with my seaming. When it's time to knit another hat for myself, I'll definitely do it on circs. Dpns aren't as difficult as I thought they might be, but I don't work as fast on them as I do with other needles.

Except in comparison to the other hat I made, there's no reason to believe I made errors in knitting this hat. Lesson learned. That will come in handy.

Two weeks until moving day... Faced with the reality that I need to get packed, I hunkered down and essentially finished packing everything in my spare bedroom. It didn't take as long as I thought it might, so I'm hopeful that I can get my bedroom packed on Sunday. The culling I did a couple months ago made a big difference in the work I did today. I threw out some more stuff, but for the most part the worst aspect of the job in that room was already done. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

My landlord agreed to buy my washer and dryer for $150. Not bad for something I got for free in the first place. Since my new apartment comes with the appliances, selling mine saves me the hassle of trying to get them out of the basement. One of my brothers who was going to help with the move may be unable to assist, so keeping the heavy lifting to a minimum is for the best. Plus, with this money, the security deposit (which I expect to get back after all these years), and the $150 Best Buy gift card I won at the end of last year, I expect I won't have to cough up too much more to purchase a laptop.

4 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Terrific new hat, knit in the round, Mark! It looks fabulous.

Sounds like the move is coming together. Not that long ago it seems like you had oodles of time!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger knitphomaniac said...

well, if you've made mistakes, I can't tell wher they are - those hats look great :) nice work!

ever since I first learned how to use circulars and knit in the round, I can't see myself knitting hats, mits, and socks any other way... I've even knit myself a sweater or to on circulars!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

the hat looks great - i knew you'd love knitting in the round for hats...especially next winter when it's time to warm your own dome again!

wish i could catch some of your packing motivation...we get the keys to our first home at the end of june and i haven't packed a thing. even worse, this was our last free weekend before wedding insanity begins (my sis is getting hitched on 7/7/07 and the hubs and i are both in the wedding) and we didn't pack or clean a thing. laziness is a curse for both of us.

can't wait til you are in your new place...you're gonna be so happy there, i know it!

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous new hat! You'll find that you will get faster on the dpns. Happy countdown to moving day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home