Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A Baby FO

Baby hat

Yarn: Dark Horse Yarns-Fantasy (50% nylon, 50% acrylic)
Colors: 31 and 33 (baby pink and dark rose)
Needles: US 8s
Stitches: 54

Just like that, a baby hat. This is a little bigger than the first one I made. I measured incorrectly and knit two more rows than necessary, but rather than frog them, I left everything intact. I added two more decrease rows to the pattern as well.

As usual, the seam is kind of dodgy, although it's an improvement over my first attempt at this hat. Seaming stockinette can be a challenge. Since I don't expect I'll see the expectant parents for almost two weeks, I think I'll drop it in the mail.

How could I adapt the pattern for knitting in the round? That would eliminate my seam issues. Sure, I could stand to improve at seaming too, but this seems like a good project for testing my skills with circs. (I'm assuming this is big enough for circular needles and wouldn't have to be done on dpns.)

Dark Horse Yarns have been a favorite of mine, and I'm glad to see they've spiffed up their website since I last visited it. They've also added corresponding color names to the numbers, which I find helpful. I've used the Fantasy line for scarves, baby hats, and coffee cup cozies and liked the results.

Following yesterday's return to knitting after an unanticipated week's break, tonight I went back to the park to resume the walking and running regimen I began late last spring. Because of the weather and a hectic schedule it's been months since I've exercised like this. Luckily I've changed my eating habits as well, so I've been able to keep from adding the weight back on. Still, I needed the exercise, and some sunshine doesn't hurt either.

The 3.8 mile track provides a solid test. I walked the majority of it, but in two segments I ran about a mile total. My legs felt strong, even if those first few running steps seemed like I had lead strapped to me. Other than a stitch in my side and some tightness in my shoulders, running felt good. I've done it enough to know that the first day back is usually better than the second, but it's encouraging that I'm not in as bad of shape as I expected.

4 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Karen said...

This hat is big enough for circular needles, and if you use a short enough cord, like 16", you may avoid dpn's completely at the top. Very cute hat. :-)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Good work on the running--and the hat looks lovely. The parents are going to love it because, well, the baby is going to be too busy eating, sleeping, and pooping to notice it... ;-)

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

that hat is adorable - i love love love the colors and thanks for sharing the yarn site...lots of fun free patterns : )

good job on the running - i've started walking during lunch w/ my friends and it feels so good to get moving again.

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you should have to do to work it in the round is cast on the full stitches, join them, and knit in the round - the decreases work just about the same. I use magic loop on all things round even when I decrease past the size of circs, but you could also move to DPNs for decreases if you're more comfortable that way.

Cute hat :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home